[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:45:05 -0400

At 10:45 AM -0700 5/3/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>  >They did explore a satellite delivered data broadcast service near
>the end, but it was not viable as a stand alone product. Integrated
>
>After three days and a fistful of a thread you finally admit!

I never denied it. But the press release you cited had nothing to do
with satellite distribution directly to viewers...it was a backhaul
agreement.

>>with a multi-channel DBS service it might fly...
>
>Well it wasn't, and it isn't, and it failed, so moot point.

Yes it failed for all the reasons we have been discussing.

>>We will find out soon, since both Dish and DirecTV are going to start
>delivering data broadcast to their next generation PVR platforms.
>
>Once again, content. If we took your approach where cool technology equals
>success, Cyberstar, GeoCast, and iBlast would be around (well some still are
>in one form or another).

I am talking about content. But not just traditional linear
entertainment content. And the DBS services are not going to use data
broadcasts for traditional linear entertainment...they already have
hundreds of channels of this stuff. They are going to use it for the
same kinds of services I have been advocating. local weather on
demand, news capsules, guides, etc. AND they are going to use it to
deliver targeted ads to individual subscribers, including ads that
are localized to their communities.

This is not a discussion about cool technology. It is a discussion
about the actions of entrenched players who are working overtime to
extend the life of a dying legacy product, while simultaneously
slowing the evolution to new, more effective ways to enhanced digital
communications.

>>We disagree. I never heard this excuse from any of the players. In
>fact, just the opposite. It was broadband that brought the Internet
>to it's knees, as more and more people tried to suck up the same
>bits.  This actually PROVED the validity of my concept.
>
>Are you kidding me? Surely you jest. As for everyone wanting the same bits,
>Akamai et al solved that one. So that's no longer a valid argument point to
>favor datacasting.

No, Akamai did not solve anything. They just used available
technology to overcome the limitations of the existing
infrastructure. This is an intermediate step that will largely go
away, when all caching moves to the edges of the network. But it does
prove an important point that is relative to this discussion.
Technical evolution FOLLOWS market and regulatory evolution. When
political and market forces limit the ability of a new technology to
disintermediate existing franchises, the technology may leak into
other short term solutions that might be skipped otherwise.

>As for the same bits, we know for fact that it is porn, followed by spam and
>pirated movies/mp3/media via p2p networks. How useful is your datacasting
>system here? For porn it would be a killer application (I have yet to find
>someone who would front such a delivery system, however) - for the rest it
>is pretty much useless (even if legalized, cause those college/school kids
>don't have the cash to pay for it either way).
>
>>>Um, your quote listed Electronic Arts. Maybe you need to check what they
>>>make.
>>Sorry, My quote never mention them or gaming.
>
>Here let me refresh your cache:
>
>---snip
>
>Backhaul.
>
>Read it again:
>
>   With headquarters in Menlo Park, Calif., Geocast Network Systems, Inc. is
>building a new national distribution network that leverages digital
>broadcast infrastructure to deliver personalized rich-media information and
>programming to the PC desktop. Geocast has developed agreements with leaders
>in the broadcast, programming and consumer electronics industries. These
>partnerships include Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc., Electronic Arts,

I stand corrected. I though you were referring to one of my comments,
not something that I quoted from a press release. You are correct
that Geocast was planning to deliver video games via data broadcasts.

>---snip
>
>>You are incorrect. Many schools use the ITFS spectrum for exactly
>this purpose. But the government has been trying to take it back to
>meet the high demand for emergency services spectrum.
>
>ITFS is not being used for datacasting.

Correct it is being used to deliver linear analog video content to
analog VCRs, where the content is cached for later playback...same
concept using legacy technology.

>As for government spectrum - they hardly need more than they have. Emergency
>services can and are being deployed over ATSC.

Can you provide an example?

>>Semantics. Every NIC has a unique hardware address in the IP reserved
>space.
>
>No they do not. MAC addresses are not unique. Fact.

If you say so.