[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 19:56:16 -0700

>It is my assumption that it will be possible to assign unique addresses to
digital media appliances - or any appliance for that matter - in the future.
I am not sure how this will work with the widespread use of dynamic IP
addressing as Gary described. I would assume that unique hardware addresses
will still be needed.

Why do you continue on the tangent that a unique hardware address in the IP
space is required to identify a device? This is completely nonsensical.
Please stop.

>Or will we be assigned a block of IP addresses at birth, instead of
Social Security  numbers?

Wait until you are issued your own Government-sponsored implanted RFID tag.

Until then, use PKI, smartcards, your Intel Pentium ID, or any other
tamper-proof device or cryptographic algorithm to target receivers.

Cheers
Kon