[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 11:18:00 -0700

>the data management issues on the client side would be tremendous.  I do
see
several ways to provide what you want (news on demand) using data broadcast
techniques, in line with what I've outlined above.  It's a few years out,
due to several factors.

Been there, done that. FeedRoom News via iBlast. No takers, since people
usually watch TV for 'moving picture' news, and the turnaround time of
creating news on demand delays it ('this is old news, I saw that on CNN an
hour ago'). Looked damn spiffy though.

There are some news delivery mechanisms that do work, however - we created a
Reuters datacast headend (ingest, real time data miner, and carousel) and
client (show all the text in a pretty format with client-side image
enhancements) to pull data from their servers 'live'. In combination we
stuck a windows media feed of an arbitary news station in the corner of the
screen on the client - people never used it, they wanted the text data. So,
that goes to show that the video is not the do-all end-all.

Cheers
Kon