[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:48:36 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Why are you trying to eliminate this possibility Bert? It certainly
> is feasible, and cable and DBS already are delivering services to
> uniquely identified subscribers.

Not trying to eliminate it, just pointing out that it's a wasteful
way of using broadcast spectrum. Of course it's *possible*. After
all, that's how the orignal Ethernet and FDDI networks worked.
They were all broadcast schemes, where each host saw all frames,
and discarded all frames except those addressed to it.

But the scope of the broadcast in those schemes was limited to the
size of the individual LAN. And in time, switches replaced hubs or
ring architectures, to make things more efficient.

> No doubt the vast majority of bits that will be broadcast in the
> future will not be targeted to unique addresses - more likely,
> viewers will "subscribe" to unique content that they want to cache.
> But the handwriting is on the wall. If broadcasters do not update
> their business model to support the kind of advertising
> accountability that competitors will provide in the future, their
> economic engine will continue to decline into irrelevance.

My money would be more along these lines too. Viewers subscribing
to different "multicast groups" in a station's multiplex.
Advertizers placing ads in "multicast groups" that would appeal to
that audience. Really not much different from what can be done now,
using simple frequency division multipexing, but much more flexible
in that you can create more groups, at various bit rates, and
non-real-time channels too.