[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:54:23 -0400

Kon wrote:

> >without a reliable infrastructure. Data broadcasting is a completely
> >valid concept; Geocast, iBlast, et al have not been able to get the
> >business off the ground for a few simple reasons:
>
> >1. The DTV transmission infrastructure is inadequate to support a
> >commercial data broadcast service. And even if all stations were
> >broadcasting at full licensed power, the percentage of sites where
> >reliable service CANNOT be established is too high for a viable
> >commercial launch.
>=20
> Good point but one little problem - Geocast was
> satellite-based. As were
> others such as Cyberstar, Astro, ...

So evidently reliability of the DTV infrastructure WAS NOT the long
pole in this tent.

> >2. Without a reliable infrastructure there is little incentive to
> >develop the receivers necessary to launch such a service. You don't
> >have to believe me...just ask Dewey.
>
> That's true. Reception is the usual killer. And a percentage
> of the first
> trial group usually has a problem with reception. But the
> killer has always
> been lack of a business plan.

So again, the long pole was not the DTV infrastructure. There
were other factors at play here, as you pointed out Kon, that
were more important in why these businesses failed.

In any event, my take on this is that wireless devices and
applications must be designed appropriately *FOR* the foibles of
the wireless interface. For example, you don't apply the
Ethernet MAC to wireless LAN protocols like 802.11. You must
design the system to work with wireless links.

If the system is wireless and one-way broadcast to boot, even
more true. But this is entirely doable. There's no getting
around the simple fact that you ain't gonna get 10E-12 error
rates with wireless links.

This doesn't mean that wireless and broadcast cannot work. But
it also doesn't mean that you can force-fit an application that
works well in a two-way system into a broadcast system, and
expect instant success.