[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:26:57 -0500

Ron Economos wrote:

> I can tell the group that the company I work for (LSI
> Logic) is serious about adding ATSC tuner support to our
> line of DVD recorder chips. At CES, we were decoding
> local Las Vegas DTV stations. Expect ATSC (and IEEE1394
> from cable boxes) DVD recorders on the shelf before the
> deadline.

http://www.lsilogic.com/products/recorder_dvd_dvr_dtr/dmn_8633.html

http://www.lsilogic.com/products/recorder_dvd_dvr_dtr/dmn_8683.html

Out[bleeping]standing, Ron. Just what the doctor ordered.
A DVD recorder and a PVR with DVD recording on the side.

I couldn't make out from the descriptions whether that
DVDR will use H.264 to try to squeeze better than SD
quality onto a DVD+RW disc. I'm not sure what MPEG-4
means in this context. However, use of AVC would be
ideal here.

But either way, I've gotten to where I don't want to
record any analog TV anymore, even though with my cobbled
up DVDR + ATSC STB, sometimes recording analog becomes
necessary, to switch stations when you're not around.
Even playing back HDTV with SD quality is far preferable
to playing back NTSC recordings. Better color, no noise,
no hint of ghost, and considerably better sound too.

Either of these would make great STBs. Assuming, of
course that the ATSC tuner/demod are adequately equipped
per A/74 guidelines (or better).