[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:25:33 -0500

Well, we seem to be in agreement that US consumers will at least
somewhat be willing to buy OTA STB's for $100 or less, at least if they
work right.  But I still think the reason producers are not offering
them at that price (usually) is that they do not feel it would be
profitable.

I don't claim to know what it takes to build an OTA STB.  And I don't
claim to know what sort of fudge factors they would build in based upon
a possible expectation of possibly high returns. (I returned one)

But it does appear they are not being offered for this price except for
various fire sales.

Do you believe that manufacturers could profitably market sub-$100 OTA
boxes now?  And I mean market, not just waving something at a demo in
Congress.

- Tom