[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:07:57 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> It seems to me vendors are willing to sell OTA STB's
> for over $200.  And it also seems buyers are willing
> to buy them in quantity for under $100. That in turn
> does not seem to be a business model that would attract
> most vendors.

As opposed to what product category, Tom? Name any other
product that manufacturers wouldn't rather sell at a
higher price point, but that the market draws down to
whatever the going price is. For example, color TVs, DVD
players and recorders, ... . Any trouble finding DVD
players or color TVs? Not me. They're all over the
place, at rock bottom prices.

> I guess the rule of thumb is to buy OTA STB's only at
> closeout sales.

It seems to me that on both sides of the ocean, freeview
stand-alone STBs sell quite well if the price is at or
around $100. People are willing to shell out that much
on a whim, just to give it a try. It seems that in Europe,
products are available, and here, for stand-alone STBs, we
get 2 year old merchandise at 2 year old prices, even
though better and cheaper chipsets exist and are being
built into integrated sets, or in combined OTA and DBS
boxes.

So far, no one has been able to explain this oddity with
anything resembling a sensible reason.