[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:38:31 -0800

Comments in-line.

Ron

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Ron Economos wrote:
>

>>I can tell the group that the company I work for (LSI
>>Logic) is serious about adding ATSC tuner support to our
>>line of DVD recorder chips. At CES, we were decoding
>>local Las Vegas DTV stations. Expect ATSC (and IEEE1394
>>from cable boxes) DVD recorders on the shelf before the
>>deadline.
>>

>http://www.lsilogic.com/products/recorder_dvd_dvr_dtr/dmn_8633.html
>
>http://www.lsilogic.com/products/recorder_dvd_dvr_dtr/dmn_8683.html
>
>Out[bleeping]standing, Ron. Just what the doctor ordered.
>A DVD recorder and a PVR with DVD recording on the side.
>
>I couldn't make out from the descriptions whether that
>DVDR will use H.264 to try to squeeze better than SD
>quality onto a DVD+RW disc. I'm not sure what MPEG-4
>means in this context. However, use of AVC would be
>ideal here.

No H.264 yet (although we are working on a 6th generation chip for that).
The MPEG-4 bullet refers to part 2 and specifically DivX. Although you
don't hear much about DivX in the US, it's very popular in Europe where
folks have DRM equipped players and download legitimate DivX content
for them.

>But either way, I've gotten to where I don't want to
>record any analog TV anymore, even though with my cobbled
>up DVDR + ATSC STB, sometimes recording analog becomes
>necessary, to switch stations when you're not around.
>Even playing back HDTV with SD quality is far preferable
>to playing back NTSC recordings. Better color, no noise,
>no hint of ghost, and considerably better sound too.

HD video will be rescaled to SD resolution for recording to DVD. The digital
rescale should look a bit better than an analog S-Video connection.

>Either of these would make great STBs. Assuming, of
>course that the ATSC tuner/demod are adequately equipped
>per A/74 guidelines (or better).

It's up to our customers to decide which tuner and ATSC demodulator
they use. Our in-house development platforms are using the Micronas
DRX3942H demodulator (and yes, this device is rectangular in a 128 pin
PMQFP package).

http://www.micronas.com/products/by_function/drx_3942h/product_information/index.html