[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:39:49 -0500

At 10:29 AM -0500 1/24/06, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>I have no idea about the average Gainesville consumer, but
>obviously there's no need to install any 30' tower. I see
>no 30' towers anywhere in our neighborhood.

You live in an area between two markets where you can get decent
reception with rabbit ears.

Gainesville has four "local" stations spread around the compass - one
is 35 miles distant. THis gets you PBS, ABC, CBS and UPN. the closest
NBC stations are in Jacksonville (UHF) @ ~ 80 miles and Orlando (VHF)
@ ~ 90 miles. If you want to get NBC you are looking at a 30-50 foot
tower to get snowy NTSC reception. I have no experience with the DT
signals from these stations, but you would still need the 30-50 foot
tower.

You don;t see many of these towers in Gainesville, because we
have >90% cable penetration and DBS service. You can still see some
out in the rural areas around Gainesville that are not served by
cable.

I think it fair to say that very few of these towers are sold
anymore, given the reality that DBS service is much easier to install
and more reliable. It would take several years to amortize the cost
of such a tower installation, even if you paid $40/mo to a DBS
service.

How many outdoor TV antennas do you see in your neighborhood? They
are rare around here on homes built since the '70s.