[opendtv] Re: Microtune MT2130 Tuner

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:32:49 -0500

Bert,

Unlike most of my previous posts, I did not mention the "D" word in my last
one.

You said a single carrier tuner should be easier to implement than a
multiple carrier tuner.  To wit:

"So this would imply that for equal spectral efficiency, single-carrier
modulation schemes are easier for the tuner, seems to me."

I replied that the single carrier tuners thus far offered commercially do
not meet the performance standards of the LG prototype.

Since it was the very existence of this LG prototype that caused others in
our industry, including Sinclair, to declare the modulation wars were over,
I think it is fair to continue to point out that even LG cannot (or will
not) offer a commercial product that matches that one prototype's
performance.

Mark Schubin was not the only person to test the LG prototype, so I will
leave it up to Bob Miller and Mark Aitken to report how commercially
available receivers stack up to the performance of the Cold Fusion Gold
Standard LG prototype.

As for the performance of the "D" word receivers, I can only point to the
Bob Miller video which was also in the same challenging RF environment.  I
have edited a short clip of that video that is only 2.5 Mb and will send it
to you if you wish to see it.

John.