[opendtv] Re: Microtune MT2130 Tuner

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 14:36:33 -0500

John Willkie wrote:
You allege that China celebrates Christmas, but of course by your words,
they do not.  Last time I checked, they had about half the world's
population.
From the CIA Factbook:
World population, as of July 2006: 6.5 billion
China popularion, as of July 2006: 1.3 billion
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/xx.html#People
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html#People

Here are some sites about Christmas celebrations in China:

"Although we are far from our country but we feel at home here, because Beijing is filled with festival atmosphere." said William Lindesay, an American who works for the protection work for the Great Wall.

In the lobby of Oriental Plaza in Wangfujing Street, downtown Beijing, a beer-bottle Christmas tree, about eight-meter tall and weighing seven tons, is decorated with dazzling lights and gift boxes.

Such a tree would have been seen as an exaggerated and bizarre ornament in the past. In today's Beijing, however, smiling Santa Clauses, colorful Christmas stockings, trees and slogans with " Merry Christmas" are everywhere. "Jingle Bells" resounds in many of the metropolis' shopping malls.

Angela Smith, an Italian student in the Capital Economic and Trade University, marveled at the city's festival atmosphere. " Beijing's Christmas is as bustling as that in my hometown," she exclaimed.

Rui Wa, a seller of Christmas gifts and ornaments in her 40s, said she purchased 1,000 new-style Christmas trees from Hongkong in early November and the stock is running low.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-12/25/content_403184.htm

However, if you were to visit those same Chinese cities today, you'd see signs of Christmas everywhere you looked! On the Avenue of Eternal Peace in Beijing, China, there are Christmas displays everywhere. Many Chinese people celebrate by decorating their houses with Christmas trees, cooking and eating special foods, and spending time with family and friends.

So yes, the Chinese celebrate Christmas. But no, most do not celebrate it for the same reasons that Christians do.
http://www.jackiechankids.com/files/Christmas_in_China.htm

Similar to many other western things already common to Chinese, the Christian festival is now in vogue in the populous Asian country as well. In the biggest gift shopping mall in Beijing, throngs of people flood in to get their best buys for Christmas.

Li Huimin, a shop manager of Shangpin Floral House, said, "The Christmas sale season began late in October. Almost all of the items related to "Xmas" have become hot. And most of the buyers are the upper middle classes who care more about quality of life than their budget. "

http://china.org.cn/english/China/83318.htm

TTFN,
Mark