[opendtv] Re: Microtune MT2130 Tuner

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:01:32 -0800

Define temporary in the context of a day that has been celebrated somewhere
for almost 2000 years.

In context: how long has Christmas been "celebrated" in Japan?  Are there
Christmas assemblages in Shinto shrines?  How many people in Japan have
celebrated Christmas their entire life?  What percentage of people (as
opposed to merchants) celebrate?

I can tell you that Christmas started becoming "vogue" in Japan in the late
1970's.  ISTR reading of it in the LA Times in 1978 or 1979, and it was very
small then, but by the mid-1980's, it had had become widespread, just like
the "fad" of non-English speaking Japanese wearing t-shirts and sweatshirts
with bold nonsensical English language phrases.  Many were perhaps given as
Christmas presents.

Compare that "fad" to how long it's been celebrated in, say, Italy.  Even
some Communists celebrate Christmas, in a fashion.

John Willkie