[opendtv] Re: Microtune MT2130 Tuner

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:53:15 -0500

Christmas is a "fad" in Japan"????

Definition of fad....

"a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one
followed enthusiastically by a group."

Operating words, "temporary" and "group".

Japan represents a very big group.

And 400 years a very long "temporary".

http://www.christmasarchives.com/wjapan.html

"Francis Xavier was from Portugal in 1549, taught us Christianity
about 400 years ago. It was the first experience of this for the
Japanese and Christmas became popular throughout Japan from that time.
The first recorded Christmas Mass was celebrated at Yamaguchi Church
in 1552. Even today's there are 'KAKURE' (secret Christians), who hide
that they are Christians, and they still use Latin when they sing
Christmas carols. This style of celebrating Christmas has not changed
since the custom began 400 years ago."

Of course I was talking of the Christmas season in general and how
many countries around the world see an increase in BUYING of things
during this period no matter what the excuse. I didn't mean to start
an argument about who officially celebrates Christmas in the official
way.

Bob Miller

On 12/6/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, let me see. Bahrain, a "country" smaller than the city I am at this
moment in, Celebrates Christmas.

You allege that China celebrates Christmas, but of course by your words,
they do not.  Last time I checked, they had about half the world's
population.  You equivocated on this point, Bob.  How many TV stations in
China use the DVB spec?

Christmas is a "fad" in Japan.

How many of these countries around the world that you believe celebrate
Christmas have DTT systems based on the DVB standards?   Will there be
millions of DTT boxes under Bahraini Christmas trees?

Will there be millions and millions of DVB receivers sold for Christmas
presents in Brazil?  How about Argentina?

I just listed a few countries where Christmas is less prevalent than ATSC
countries.  Do you believe that Hindis, Sikhs and Muslims are more likely to
celebrate Christmas in India than the average citizen in, say, Canada?
While India, in the post-Marxist world, is starting to thrive, the average
annual income for the country is still less than the average weekly income
in the U.S.  I suspect that the few people there who celebrate Christmas
don't buy many HDTV sets.

I have a bit of a perspective on this point, Bob.  I live most of the time
in Mexico.  Christmas is observed there, but not in the way that would lead
many Mexicans to put DTT systems out as presents on Christmas.  Christmas
trees are just getting to be in vogue there among people; Christmas in
Mexico is more about the "reason for the season" than gifts.  (Every time
the buses I ride in Mexico passes a Catholic church, many people on the bus
execute the "sign of the cross" just like my mom did when I was a mere
child.)

You reach for low-hanging fruit, Bob, to "praise" DVB.  You do this all the
time, and try to chime in on any remote topic to pimp what -- in the country
you live in -- is a dead letter.   In the current context, you are actually
damning DVB with faint praise.

Also, as to the TR101-290 spec, it actually has much to say about what a
receiver should be able to do, but can't use RF planning factors, since they
are different from region to region and country to country.

John Willkie

P.S.  I note you didn't respond to how many people in France are able to get
HDTV terrestrially.  Do you think that the French people -- as opposed to
the nomenclatura -- are interested in 'quality?'