[opendtv] Re: Microtune MT2130 Tuner

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:53:40 -0800

I should have been succinct: Bob alleged that many DVB boxes would be sold
this Christmas around the world.  If he had merely said in "DVB countries
with active DTT systems" or "Western Europe" I wouldn't have had any nit to
pick.  DVB is largely -- this year -- a practical Western European system.

When one overlays DVB countries over the world's population, against
countries where DVB is actually served, one gets not the world, but "Western
Europe."

I just love anecdotes by Westerners in China who -- going by the quote --
are just now this year seeing (merchantilist-driven) Christmas displays in
China.  It's almost as if they have more celebrations of Christmas in
Beijing than Mexico City (Mexico is 80+% Catholic, China being about 1%
Christian, even if deeply hidden).  It's an amusing anecdote, since a small
part of China's population is in Beijing.

In countries that truly celebrate Christmas, the day (not the 'holiday') is
celebrated by rich and poor, in towns small, large and medium.

And, I must note, MANY people are in prison in China for merely praying to
Jesus. Last time I checked, it's his (alleged) day of birth that is being
celebrated.

Could you point out any Nativity scenes in public (heck, even private)
places in China? :-)  All you have to do is to peer at a few other pages in
that CIA factbook to discern the status of Christians in China.

I am sure that I am not alone in knowing and having known Jews that
celebrate Christmas -- and not "Jews for Jesus" types -- in a non-sectarian,
Santa Claus type of way.  When one probes, one finds people who don't want
to miss out on the 'fun" or feel left out, and who are less than solid in
their religiosity.  (I should also point out that I found this to be less
prevalent on the East Coast of the U.S. than on the West Coast, the center
of the media universe.)

John Willkie