[opendtv] Re: Microtune MT2130 Tuner

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:28:21 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

>> So this would imply that for equal spectral efficiency,
>> single-carrier modulation schemes are easier for the tuner,
>> seems to me.
>
> Which flies in the face of the evidence.

Might fly in the face of misinterpretation of evidence, sure.

> What was the secret sauce LG put into their "cold fusion" STB
> that has never been duplicated? LG won't say, and even their
> integrated tuner/decoder modules that they sell to third party
> manufacturers don't perform up to the "cold fusion" (with
> apologies to Mark Schubin) prototype standards.

So where is your evidence?

I have been speculating that the LG prototype had a better tuner than
the others, and that's what made the difference, mainly because lower
Manhattan is a difficult RF scene. But so what? In order to make a claim
that anything "flies in the face of evidence," you need to show me
where, in the same environment, a cheap tuner tuner with COFDM can do
better or as well as a properly designed tuner with 8-VSB. And where the
difference IS NOT instead something related to echo tolerance.

My thinking is that as soon as echo tolerance was finally solved, to an
adequate degree for Mark's location, the weak link remains tuner design.
So this is now unrelated to modulation, or certainly would not favor
COFDM.

It seems you and Bob have this strange notion that COFDM doesn't need
decent tuners. It is simply wrong to go on assuming this is the case, in
equal RF environments. If DVB-T receivers are now being sold with
cheaper tuners, it is because the more benign RF conditions in DVB-T
markets allow this. Check out, just one example, the dynamic range in
Nordig compared with A/74. Make the effort, or you won't be convinced.