[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:35:29 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> A new competitor in 700 MHz would not so limit their network.
> They would choose a robustness level that maxed out the bit
> rate while matching the network they are willing to build.
> And their network might be more dense in some urban areas
> which would allow for a less robust mode and higher bit rate
> while more robust and lower bit rate in a rural area.

It's one thing to talk about using the new 700 MHz spectrum ITSELF for
the TV M/H service. It's an entirely different matter to consider
whether device manufacturers for that 700 MHz band will incorporate TV
receivers in their devices that use the standard TV bands for receiving
the TV signals.

The study Mark pointed out was talking more about the latter model. The
700 MHz spectrum would be used for interactive services, using whatever
wideband CDMA, LTE, or WiMAX modulation they want, but the TV broadcast
receiver would have to use the 8-VSB M/H, or potentially even 8T-VSB,
like that Insignia device I showed yesterday. Hopefully, with a more
advanced 8T-VSB receiver.

In the past, the devices being tied to the service provider as they
were, the only features they incorporated were features that added
immediate value to the service provider primarily. So broadcast
reception, as John Shutt pointed out, was not even in the cards. Now
there might be a different value proposition. The device manufacturer
can think about the best interests of the consumer, rather than just
those of the service provider.