[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 13:00:39 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
It is true that the luminance bandwidth can exceed the
4.2 MHz bandpass of an NTSC encoder, but the process of creating the I & Q components for baseband video is the same process used in an NTSC encoder - you must reduce the Q component (mostly blue) to only 0.5 MHz bandpass and the I component to 1.5 MHz.

While the FCC rules for broadcasting analog NTSC specify I&Q as the color components, I think for most digital OTA broadcasts wideband R-Y&B-Y are used which, when decoded into NTSC in the $60 boxes results in images with much more color detail.