[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:09:08 -0400

At 3:55 PM -0700 7/6/08, John Willkie wrote:

Last point, compression will never improve -- by itself -- the quality of a video signal. By definition, it eats bits, and in practice, it's lossy, so it's impossible to recover those bits.

I know Craig has said here that the lost bits can be recovered, in that they are predictable. I think he should patent that, since it would improve the quality of all compressed video. But, that dog won't hunt.

There you go again John, putting words in someone's mouth. I have NEVER claimed that you can recover what quantization taketh away. In fact I have frequently claimed just the opposite.

No doubt you may be able to make a badly compressed video stream look better with additional processing, but restoring it to "the original" is not a viable option at any price.

Bottom line, if you want high quality compressed video you need to start with high quality progressive video streams and compress properly at emission bit rates that are capable of dealing with peak bit rate requirements.