[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:06:24 -0700

Cliff wrote:
> Because the CECB creates the composite signal from the 4:2:0 digital,
> and is not limited to the ~40 lines in practical NTSC broadcasting.
> It is ONLY limited to the 120 lines of NTSC at its practical best.

Cliff, please see the following excerpt from a recent message I posted on
this subject. Am I missing something? The home TV receivers inherent
bandwidth capacities seems to me to be the limiting factor, regardless of
what the converter box might output to the TV (S-video may be an exception).

"As a practical matter: consumer grade NTSC TV sets limit both color
carriers to 0.5 MHz bandwidth. My point is that any composite color signal
applied to an analog NTSC set through the tuner or composite video connector
will be degraded to 0.5 MHz bandwidth. "

Dale