[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:04:04 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You are correct that a CECB "could" produce far better quality
> color than an NTSC broadcast as the component source has much
> more color information available prior to MPEG-2 encoding. In
> reality there may or may not be as much accurate color
> information available after decoding.

I think Cliff explained this again. In any event, there's no question
that "garbage in, garbage out." That's just stating the obvious, though,
Craig.

Also, when NTSC is transmitted over the air or cable, isn't the reason
for the rapid dropoff of chrominance that you have to avoid interference
with the audio carrier? If the color carrier is at ~3.58 MHz, then 0.5
MHz above that gets you to almost 4.1 MHz. At 4.2, the luminance drops
off to make way for audio at 4.5 MHz.

If you're transmitting this over the composite baseband interface, isn't
there much less need to low-pass filter this chrominance as quickly?
Seems to me a more gradual drop won't hurt anything.

----Off topic-----
> By the way I do not Capisc...
>
> But I do capiche.

Uh, sorry, Craig.

The word is "capisci?" (The "sci" is pronounced like "she.") Which
means, "do you understand?" In the Naples dialect, it gets shortened to
"capisc?" They drop the final i sound.

What you wrote WOULD be the way you'd pronounce this in French. But the
language ain't French.