[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:08:01 -0400

At 7:03 PM -0400 7/11/08, Cliff Benham wrote:
Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
It was about explaining that if you use a
CECB to decode a TV signal, as opposed to watching the NTSC broadcast,
over the composite interface, you should notice much better color
resolution than from the NTSC broadcast. Because the CECB creates the
composite signal from the 4:2:0 digital, and is not limited to the ~40
lines in practical NTSC broadcasting. It is ONLY limited to the 120
lines of NTSC at its practical best.

Yep, that was my point exactly. That is what I see with the CECBs when comparing their S- and NTSC baseband outputs to OTA NTSC. I can't quantify *how much* better the CECB is without running tests I can no longer make.

If I still had access to the Harmonic MV50 encoder and 8VSB exciter I'd hook it all up and send the list photos of the waveforms.

Thanks for the clarification Cliff.

While this has nothing to do with your comments about Betacam, at least it is clear that you understand the potential for better delivered color with MPEG-2, even if the reality often falls short of what is possible with NTSC.