[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 18:56:21 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> The digital picture looks good but not any better than the
> analog.

How did you connect the CECB to your set? Via the RF cable, or via the
baseband composite video?

If via the RF cable, you're still limited to the 4.2 MHz bandwidth of
OTA or cable NTSC, so you wouldn't expect anything much to imporve,
except for absence of ghost.

But if you're using the composite video output, the quality of many TV
programs should be as good as what you see from a DVD player on that
same TV set. The exception being, shows that the broadcaster is
transmitting that are either overly compressed or meant for analog
transmission.

For example, BBC News as rebroadcast on one of the PBS channels here is
14:9 and very much analog quality video. I gather, from what Alan
Roberts said, that BBC transmits 14:9 when it intends widescreen content
to be transmitted in analog. Another example we have here is either
Nigerian TV or South African TV, both of which are transmitted from an
independent here, over DTT subchannels. Both absolutely look like the
bad old days of analog TV, distortions, iffy color, and all.