[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:18:14 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
You can get an 8/16-VSB exciter on a PCI form factor (not suitable for
broadcast due to timing accuracy) for about $3,250, new.

DVEO has one (www.computermodules.com)

Actually, there are two DVEO products that would probably allow me to do the testing and give me a digital side to the system in the basement to play with as well:

The MPEG LEGEND, OP1 analog NTSC composite input
and the
eYe Catcher frequency agile 8VSB modulator.

That would sort of parallel the MPEG 2 QAM system I worked with for several years.

But I'll probably have to wait until the US switches to COFDM so I can get a whole rack full of digital stuff for $35 bucks on EBAY.
;^)