[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:55:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

You know Doug, while writing that post, I started to think about you.  Perhaps
we've been down this route before.

I can't disagree, Doug, except to point out Dan mentioned nothing about using a
S-video output or cable to connect his tv to the cheesebox.

Also, to reply indirectly to Craig, last I remembered, Dan was not a cable
subscriber.  I guess it's possible to have a cable company providing 8-VSB
signals, or a cheesebox that will take in QAM, but those are longshots, are
they not?

Let me see.  What else.  Ah, yes, cable firms must provide digital OTA
broadcasts on their basic, basic, basic, basic tier.  They can try to get cable
subscribers to pay more for these channels, but that's like marketing variable
annuities to elderly people.  You can buy them, but they won't really help.
They also must do this to comply with current copyright rules.

Last point, compression will never improve -- by itself -- the quality of a
video signal.  By definition, it eats bits, and in practice, it's lossy, so
it's impossible to recover those bits.

I know Craig has said here that the lost bits can be recovered, in that they
are predictable.  I think he should patent that, since it would improve the
quality of all compressed video.  But, that dog won't hunt.