[opendtv] Freeview Playback re-branded as Freeview +

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:48:00 -0400

I don't understand this story. Isn't this simply an OTA DVDR or PVR,
with a Freeview+ decal on it?

If yes, then what does the last sentence mean?

"Households will continue to have the choice of a standard Freeview
service or Freeview+."

The OTA signals are identical, I would expect, and the only difference
is whether you're set up at home with a recording device or not? This
seems like brand management gone ape. Unless I'm missing something that
makes this story significant.

Bert

----------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=3037

Freeview Playback re-branded as Freeview +

Freeview has announced their digital TV recording service-Freeview
Playback has been rebranded as Freeview +.

Over the next few months Freeview will be rebranding all of its
packaging and advertising materials to increase sales of the DTR's.

Freeview+ provides a free subscription to viewers after they have
purchased a box.

The device's recording features include series record, one touch record,
and a pause feature for live TV.

Rob Farmer, Director of Marketing Communications at Freeview, said:
"There's over one third of a million Freeview digital TV recorders in
households-and that's been achieved with relatively little marketing
support. We are now upping our efforts and since '+' has entered the
vernacular in recent years, we think it makes sense to reposition
ourselves to take advantage of that."

The Freeview + range will contain basic boxes, DVD recorders, DVD and
VHS combination recorders and TVs with Freeview+ built in. It will also
feature a greater number of products from a range of brands including
Humax, Goodmans, LG, Tvonics, Sony and Sharp.

Farmer added: "Freeview+ is the next chapter in our story as the
champion of free TV in the UK. It lets you record great programmes with
no subscription, no contract, no fuss. It's the obvious choice for
recording TV in the digital age."

Households will continue to have the choice of a standard Freeview
service or Freeview+.

DTG Staff 04.07.2008