[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:43:22 -0700

Unfortunately, the CECB does not bandpass well enough, at least not in the
luminance.  Most fine detail areas become moire patterns and/or
multi-color bursts.

Are there similar effects if the color signal is not bandpass limited?  If
so, let me know so I can look for the artifacts in the CECB.

Dan

Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/14/2008 06:06 AM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[opendtv] Re: Digital vs. Analog Quality

...But that information will then be band pass limited when it is NTSC
ENCODED for the composite video output. The net result may be better,
or it may be worse than an NSTC broadcast depending on the quality of
the MPEG-2 compression...