[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:01:44 -0800

So, you think that stating the obvious makes you profound?

The TRUTH is that cable will always win on the bandwidth model, since they
own their own ether.  What limits them is support for analog and the bits
they devote to cable modems; but they have work arounds for those by
segmenting bandwidth to neighborhoods.

Trying to compete with them on bandwidth is a fool's errand, and it's
unlikely that even if USDTV had 10 times the bandwidth they desire that they
would be able to compete with cable on any but a half-assed basis.

The answer is a flanking move.  Own your own content, and make it local.
And, devote some bandwidth to the market cable can't reach: mobile/portable.
The question is how much bandwidth to devote to it.

John Willkie