[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:52:37 -0500

Maybe you could mention what scheme of mine your talking about and how
you know what it requires.

The reason for using MPEG4 AVC or similar codec is to allow more
programming to be delivered with any given amount of spectrum. Makes
things more efficient. A better business plan. USDTV understands that
they have a better chance of survival if they use MPEG4 AVC.

Bob Miller

On 12/12/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That's why he says that we need to get beyond MPEG-2 technology (fat chance;
MPEG-2 systems and to a lesser extent, mpeg-2 compression layer) will be
around for a long time.

Beyond using MPEG-4/AVC/VC-1, for his scheme to work, we need to have fewer
than 480x640 pixels per picture, and probably fewer than 24 frames per
second.  Hey, it's all just waste, even on his 50" tv set. :-)

John Willkie