[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:11:42 -0500

I think it's just hard to communicate the benefits. For digital radio, it brings the quality of radio up to that of satellite or MP3. Those delivery methods offer music, but in the same way that NBC is a TV channel just like CBS. Digital allows that particular station to compete with other delivery methods of music on a quality basis.

For TV, you can tell people there's a digital version available of FOX29 OTA, but then "so what" is what the public might think because that very same channel has been available "digital" on satellite and cable for a long time. If I want to watch this channel "digital", is OTA going to competitive with those other delivery methods?

On 8-Dec-06, at 6:57 PM, Mark Schubin wrote:

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
The other thing to consider is promotion. I listen to FM radio. I am
amazed at the level of promotion their new digital stations get on the air. I think groups like Bonneville Broadcasting are doing a super job.
I cannot say the same for TV
TV broadcasters do lots of promotion -- print ads, radio, billboards, etc. -- but you are correct that they are not promoting DTT much. So let us ask why.

Can it be that they expect the 2009 date to fail?  I don't think so.

Can it be that they don't want to drive away audience? Perhaps. In my apartment, it has always (except with the magic LG 5th-gen box) been easier to get some stations than others. So, suppose I'm Fox. I promote WNYW-DT. My viewers buy DTT receivers, take them home, and find they can get ABC, CBS, and NBC, but not Fox. Promotional money well spent?

I'm open to other theories.

TTFN,
Mark