[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:02:39 -0800

Well, we DO have a working modulation scheme, which replicates NTSC, which
was never an optimal way of transmitting analog video.  PAL was subsequently
developed and was ALWAYS better than NTSC, using a simple technique that
reversed by 180 degrees alternate lines.  An elegant improvement over NTSC.

Given that the predicate is off-base, why pursue it further?

And, NO, there is no terrestrial HDTV in Europe: its part of the regulatory
scheme to make people pay for what Americans get for free, and will in short
order demand.

Most DVB proponents don't want to talk about the regulatory scheme, so they
concentrate on modulation.  The modulation situation improves with 8-VSB,
but the regulatory scheme doesn't improve in Europe.

If you want a working 5th generation receiver, try the OnAir Solution USB
one.  It is about the size of your fist.

John Willkie