[modeleng] Re: Parts prices

  • From: Jesse <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:09:18 -0500

Barry,
That I can understand as I have a turret (capstan) where my tailstock
normally goes, but I do a lot of work that requires the turret which has
6 stations so the tailstock sits on the floor. Currently, the box tool,
a threading die and a couple of drill chucks are mounted on the turret.
Sometimes there is also a center cut end mill to allow facing of the
work and a center drill in another chuck.
Funny how two nations with the same language call items by different
terms.  A few years ago I had a problem with "linisher" which is belt
sander over here.  Ah well, we will soon be building weapons to slow
down the Taliban and I suppose I will have to make some sort of spear
thrower or something.
Several years ago I had one of our loggers ask me where the "chuck" for
the drill press was.  I pointed out to him that it was in plain sight on
the drill press, but he still couldn't see it. It turned out that he
called the chuck key a "chuck" and it had fallen to the floor where he
didn't see it.  Loggers is big tough blokes, but sometimes have funny
names for tools.  Over here every adjustable open end spanner (wrench)
is called a "Crescent wrench", I suppose because the first ones were
made by Crescent Tool Company.  Spanners are usually forked tools (Y
shaped) with pins that fit into notches or holes on steam packing glands
and the like. Little delicate adjustable spanners are used to unscrew
the back of wrist watches.

This brings to the so called "Monkey Wrench".  Now how many of you gents
know where that name came from?? When I started work as a machinist
apprentice at the railroad in 1953, I was issued a ball peen hammer, a
flashlight, a 10" Mill Bastard File, and was supposed to get a "Monkey
Wrench", but didn't.  I still have the flashlight and it works as well
as it did 60 years ago though the reflector has darkened considerably. I
have a couple of "Monkey Wrenches" just as curiosities.
Now, who is going to get the cigar for explaining where Monkey Wrenches
got their name?? Alan, Tel, Clif, Al Messy????? Only reason I know is
because I accidentally saw it in my 1921 Audel's Mechanic's Manual.