[modeleng] Parts prices

  • From: stepney <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 17:02:10 +0100

I rarely buy parts or materials, as I have enough stock to cater for
most things.
The exception being when (if) I am buying castings for a new model, or
stocking up on whatever, and that is usually at one of the shows.

Yesterday I found that I needed some 1" long x 6BA studs, or similar
size bolts.
Of course, I could make them, but dont have any steel of the right diameter.

If I had a small capstan, and a roller box, or even the latter, I could
turn down some 1/8" bar, then thread it, cut it, reverse in lathe and
thread other end, etc.

But I need 48 of them, and the time it will take could be better spent
on other things.

So, a quick look on the internet at all the major suppliers.

What I found is that prices vary enormously, with some being, either
highly optimistic, or perhaps they are a joke!
In addition, some companies have no idea how to set up a website, so
that customers can find the information they want.

Such things as "what form of payment do they take? is a fairly basic
piece of information that many prospective customers might want to know.

I have yet to decide who to buy from, and given the time I have spent in
looking, perhaps making them would have been cost effective!

What are the opinions of others here?

Alan