[modeleng] Re: Parts prices

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:25:06 +0100

Jesse,

I think that the terminology in the U.S. is "Turret lathe". They were the
original "mass production" lathe.

The capstan is a device sat on the cross slide of the lathe which indexes
round every time the cross slide is wound to the right. The capstan is
pivoted on a vertical axis and contains a number of tools (usually 6)
located radially.

Almost every bit of film showing factory work during WW2 shows Capstan
lathes at work.

Regards,

Barrie