[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 21:17:17 +0000 (UTC)

>I forgot to add that one can only see the German text if one closes the book,
>shuts one's eyes, and wills that the neighbor next door will lower the volume
>on Aida. (This is the approach Paul Grice recommends.)>
Grice has classy neighbours. If invited over, they sound the sort who could
translate back into German for you. This would not cure defects in the English
translation.

     On Saturday, 28 March 2015, 18:41, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Donal wrote

>An English translation of the Investigations (with the translated German text
>on facing pages),can be found at>
There is no facing German text and the English text has defects, including some
that render the text almost unintelligible in parts, including some quite
crucial parts e.g.
I forgot to add that one can only see the German text if one closes the book,
shuts one's eyes, and wills that the neighbornext door will lower the volume on
Aida. (This is the approach Paul Grice recommends.)
Robert Paul