[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:09:27 +0100

Let's say that we had a conference and I introduced JL by saying "This is
our man for implicatures." The connotations of this would vary with the
context; if the conference were on Grice, it might well be taken as a
compliment. (Even if not so intended) If the conference were on
metaphysics, it might not be taken as particularly complimentary. But since
JL is "our man for implicatures," I would expect him to accept that
truthful description whether it is complimentary or not.

O.K.