[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: "Richard Henninge" <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 13:59:25 +0100

Donal himself provides the key to his misconceptions in the sentence cited in
my previous post in which he evaluates "less favourably" in comparison to the
treatment received by one and the same pregnant woman with "herself were she
not pregnant." He repeats this thinking in the paragraph below when he says
that "[t]his way of measuring 'less favourably' is entirely (dare I say
"utterly" [no, you dasn't]) different to [I'd prefer "different from"] how
'less favourably' is measured between the genders generally--in the latter case
'less favourably' is measured simply [as in "All About That Base" in reference
to "photoshopping"--make it stop!--you dasn't use this word--the S-word to
imply (s-imply) the obvious, patent correctness of the falsehood you are in the
process of propping] by whether you are treated worse than others of the
opposite gender.

Analogously to measuring "less favourably" in the case of a pregnant woman
against the standard of the treatment she would receive "were she not
pregnant," the measurement "between the genders generally" is not at all
"entirely . . . different," but also against the standard of the treatment one
would receive "were one of the opposite gender." And the same applies in the
cases involving disabilities: the treatment must not be "less favourable" than
what one would receive "were one not disabled."

The criterion of "favourableness" of treatment is a fine measure and we would
all be better off understanding it and seeing how it works. Donal prefers
obfuscation and high weather to defend his hobby-horse, the "problem-solving
approach."

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz

 ""
  Richard hasn't thought the problems through i.e. adopted a sufficiently
problem-solving approach. If Richard had, he might have seen that just as
disabled people can claim discrimination where there is no special provision to
offset their disadvantages, so pregnant women can claim discrimination where
there is no special provision to offset their pregnancy-related disadvantages:
each are treated "less favourably" where there is no required* offset for their
disadvantages. This way of measuring "less favourably" is entirely (dare I say
it "utterly") different to how "less favourably" is measured between the
genders generally - in the latter case "less favourably" is measured simply by
whether you are treated worse than others of the opposite gender. In the case
of pregnancy and disability, how non-pregnant and non-disabled others are
treated is beside the point.

  Dnl
  *What is required is assessed more strictly for pregnancy than for disability

  On Thursday, 19 March 2015, 4:55, Richard Henninge