[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 21:27:59 +0100

Just a few remarks, as a clarification of the previous discussion. The
legal contexts might be different from some practical rather than
theoretical reasons. It would seem that the legal tradition in the UK
permits the judge to be a "willy-nilly legislator when the text of the law
runs out." Thus an experienced judge can choose between two plausible
interpretations of the letter of the law the one that seems more reasonable
to apply to the case at hand. Here on the other hand judges, at least on
the lower levels, tend to be inexperienced lawyers trying to get some
experience before their start their own practice, and often employed
through various connections. Seeing that these judges are both
inexperienced and vulnerable  to various influences, it may well be best to
keep them strictly to a literal interpretation of the law. Perhaps the
things are different in the UK. I have some acquaintance with the UK legal
system through my translating work, as it were.

O.K.