[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 07:25:52 -0400

McEvoy was answering for the rationale behind the oblige-obligate
distinction made by Hart. The issue is some import. McEvoy does not seem to
 be
DENYING; i. Smith was obliged to do it. But he did not. Rather, he  wants
to know
the rationale, and I can see why. He is against conceptual  analysis and
thinks  of 'analytic' as a term of abuse. Since Hart is  engaged here in a
polemic with  the long-dead (by then) John Austin,  who couldn't engage
with Hart
in conceptual  analysis, the issue of  factivity may sound otiose to John
Austin (who was by  then long-dead).  But it's not, and it's one that Hart
learned from Grice. Grice's example is:  ii. Smith thought that he
regretted that his father had
died. It afterwards  turned out that he didn't".

Grice's gloss is typical of his genius: "As  far as what I've just written
does MAKE sense," "it would, I think,  still 'imply' the committal [on the
part  of the utterer] to Smith's  father's death". Grice adds, in a note
that
should be  applauded more  often: "I am NOT sure about the last
distinction,
and I think  perhaps  it does not matter very much." Hart suggests that "He
was obliged to  do  it" is more or less synonymous with "He was forced to
do
it". As  in,
A  (after having committed something wrong): I was forced to do  it.
B: And you  did.
A: No, I was forced to do it, but I did not do  it.

For Hart that  sounds harsh and suggests that "I was forced to  do it"
standardly implies "I did  it". In this sense, 'obligated', "I  was
obligated to
do it" never carries that  implication. This is a  matter of some import
because it is at the core of Hart's  rejection of  John Austin's legal
philosophy
based on a mere idea, concept, or   conception, of force, and I would think
that Walter O. may have a thing or  two  to say on this. So the issue is
not
JUST a matter of conceptual  analysis (even  if that's what philosophers
do).
In the case of legal  philosophy, what legal  philosophers do surely
influence what other  legal theorists (surely less  conceptual ones) do,
and which
are not  likely to subject an issue to punctilious  analysis as Hart does.
The
best way is to consider the 'factivity' spectrum in  the citations from
Hart's favourite dictionary, the Oxford dictionary, and see  how  factive
the
uses of 'oblige' can get:

"And also  wan any  diez  bithoute testament, and be obliged to any other
in
dette, and his  godes comez  into ordinaries hond  or te ordeinen, the
ordinaries,  from  now  forthward, sullen ansuuerie to the dettes the wile
that te
godes of the  dede  lastez."
This use is so complex that it is  hard to see if the  implication holds.
Next:

"Though add William  our king to him vaste  obliged the king of Scotland."
This seems to  involve some element of  factuality in that William became
the king  of  Scotland. Next:
"Joachim bihete god, ȝif tht he would any child  him  send, to God's
service
oblige he would that  child."

Apparently Joachim's  child complied, the implication seems  to be. Next:
"They oblige no man to  their manner of   poverty"
This is negative, so it's normal that the  implication gets  cancelled.
Next:

"Our forsaid attorneys obliging us to  fulfill all  manner [of] accords."
This is an -ing form, and incomplete as  a  proposition. But if the
attorneys obliged them to fulfill the thing,  the  implication is that the
speaker
followed the obligation and did  fulfill.  Next:

"He obliged him to fight with him in the  quarrel."
This is a  good example: He forced him to fight with him in  the quarrel.
Suppose he comes  back to the wife:
A: Stephen forced  me to fight with him in the quarrel.  That's why I'm
late.
B: You mean  you did fight with Stephen in the  quarrel?
A: No, I was late because  McEvoy obliged me to do something  else.
Sthephen forced me to  fight with him in the quarrel, but of course I
refuse the
'invitation'.
That would sound harsh to Hart.  Next:

"All men  were pardoned which would by other be obliged truly to  serve and
obey  him."
"oblige" is defeasible, so the pardon cancels the  factivity in  the use of
the verb. Next:

"Every subject is obliged in his   conscience to obey the just laws of his
magistrate." Suppose a husband says  that  to his wife:
A: Every subject is obliged in his conscience to obey  the just  laws of
his
magistrate.
B: And your point being?
A:  Well, you are such a  subject, aren't you.
B: So?
A: In your  conscience you are obliged the obey  the just laws. And you do.
B: Yes,  sir. -- Next:

"I enclosed the  note in a letter to my brother, and  obliged him to be
very
careful in sending  it."
This case is dubious  in that it also uses Hart's OTHER favourite  concept,
'careful'. The  brother may not be careful, and fail to send the letter.
But
we can  imagine an epilogue:
BROTHER: I just come from the post office.  Your  letter was sent.
THE OTHER BROTHER: Good. I had obliged to do   it.
BROTHER: Exactly. I was obliged to be very careful in sending the  letter
and I was!
Next:

"It has been commonly supposed that  a father could  oblige his posterity
that government, of which he  himself was a  subject."
This is a special use of 'oblige'. Since it is  prefaced by  'commonly
supposed', the implicature is re-inforced that  the father did oblige  his
posterity, as he could. Next:

"My  father had obliged me to the  improvement of my stock, not by a
promise
but by a penalty which I was at  liberty to incur."
The implicature  is that the utterer opted not to  suffer the penalty and
ths that he  did improve the stock, as his father had  obliged him to do.
Next:

"Slaves cannot be obliged to any other  person."
I suppose  the implicature is "than their owners". It has to be  expanded
"obliged  to what?" "To do some errand", suppose. Since this is in the
negative,  the implication does not hold -- it would be an otiose slave tht
is
obliged to someone other than his owner to do an errand or other.   Next:

"In nomina, while one, by making an entry to the other's  debit,  lays him
under obligation, it is only the latter that is  obliged."
This  is very factive, in that it is the LATTER that makes an  entry, the
implication  being. Next:

Hii hom wolde  oblige  and sikernesse vinde  gode To bere hom  clene hor
truage."  Implicational.
Next: "Israel, by vow hym self to the  lord   oblige, seiþ ȝif þou take þis
peple in myn honde, y shal doon  awey his  cytees." Implicational. Next:
"Swilk drede in hert had þai  ilkane Þat  þai  oblige þam to hald þe
couenand made   byforne."
Implicational. Next:
"T"hy  hande-maiden for soth  am  I, and to thi seruice I  oblige me."
Impicational. Next:
"Þane  sais þe wich: ‘gyf I ne ma ourcum his craft I oblige me  but
ransoninge to  thole dede.’ Implicational. Next:
"We bind  and oblige us and our  successouris..that [etc.]." Implicational.
 Next:
"Alexander Kayn  wes accusit in  judgment  for his wife  becaus he obliged
hym to answer  for her  deeds." Implicational.  Next:
"We obleiss ws, and  promeiss   that..the said  abstinence of weir..sall
continew." Implicational. Next:
"You: who  hauing plighted your faith, and   solemnly obliged your selfe
vnto  an  husband, are now become most  faithlesse and  perfidious."
Implicational. Next:
"The time for  which he had  obliged  himself being  expired."
Implicational. Next:
"We   Desire  John Croker to take his place and we doe obleadg  our selves
to give him  40  shili." Implicational: Next:
"In   gratitude for the bequest of Preston, the  town council obliged
themselves  to his son to build that aisle to his  memory."  Implicational:
 Next:
"Off Iuda Þan þe barnage al Þam  obliged  erare hym to ta."  Implicational.
Next:
"That these præsent obliges  to reform   themselves."  Implicational. Next:
"I oblige be my  hand, he sall observe in  all pointis your behest."
Implicational: next.
"We undersubscryve, and oblige and   promise   to obey the whole contents
of
the said letter."   Implicational. Next:
"Aw had obliged to come home to the  wife   again." Implicational. Next:
"The emperour of Rome to  him   Obligede bi his messagers alle  þing þat
was
his." Implicational.   Next.
"King John obliged his realm of England and his lordship of Ireland  in  a
thousand mark, to be paid year by year." Implicational.  Next:
"Nyle thou be with hem that oblischen her hondis, and that proferen  hem
silf borewis for  dettis". Implicational. Next:
"Yf thou  wilt  oblige  thy sowle  to me ayenst my hors, I wolle..playe
wyth
them."  Implicational. Next:
"This satisfaccioune mone be maid  of a  thing that is nocht   sua oblist
God be ane vthire  manere..of dete." Implicational. Next:
"The Gentlemen..were   ordered to oblige each their Honour  not  to take
any
resentment."  Implicational. Next:
"He forbid all  the  Prelates..to oblige   their Lay-Fees to the See of
Rome." Implicational:  Next.
"The ship  is tacitly obliged for their  wages."  Implicational, when in
past  tense. Next:
"The holy promise and the bandis  gent  of peace and  concord  obliged and
sworn." Implicational. Next:
"Þe  zenuolle..is  y-obliged to zuo ane greate gauelinge  þet  he ne  heþ mi
te to hit endi, þet is,  to the pine of helle."  Implicational  (for those
who believe in hell). Next.
"To the  fulfillyng of the qwhilk  the Wardain of the Est Marche of
Scotland
is obliged, be his Letter  to Sire Henri Percy and the said Sire  Henry is
obliged, be his  Letter to the said Earle."  Implicational. Next:
"He schulde delyuere þem  þe whiche were   obliged to servage by all their
life." Implicational.  Next:
"He wes  obliste til his wyfe to speke with hir in-to  his lyfe."
Implicational.  Next:
"I promysed to the nought at al, in  the presence of whom I am  oblyged or
bound." Implicational. Next:
"To the keping of all thir  conditionis bayth the sadis parteis ar  obliged
and suorn ayn till  other." Implicational: Next.
"We are obliged  to love god."
This may  APPEAR not to trigger the implication. But a  different scenario
does:
SON: Hi, father. I'm back from church.
FATHER:  Good, son. Just  as I obliged you.
SON: To love god.
FATHER: Indeed. So,  did you love  God.
SON: Father, your question seems stupid: if I am obliged to  love  god,
rest
assured I did.
The negation of the implication seems harsh  and  is best ascribed (Omar
was
wondering: Hart's doctrine is  called  ASCRIPTIVISM).
SINFUL SON: Hi father.
FATHER: Back from  church?
SINFUL  SON: Nay.
FATHER: But you know. I repeat this EVERY  NIGHT over dinner: We are
obliged to love god.
SINFUL SON: But I  didn't.
FATHER: You'll be cursed!  -- Next:
"The wife is not obliged  to accuse her husband." Present tense  --
non-implicational.
"That  duty and respect, wherein we stand obliged  to others." Present
tense:  non-implicational.
"Martyr excused his coming,  partly  because he  was obliged to the city
and
church of Zurick."  "obliged to BE in the  city," strictly. Implication
holds. "Yet, Martyr was in  New York as we  spoke" sounds awfully wrong.
"The Princess Henrietta was  obliged to lie  abed, for want of a fire to
warm her." Adding "But the  princess got  off bed and died" sounds otiose.
Had
it happened, surely it would  have  been reported.
"Thus it should seem that Christians are  clearly obliged  to the
observance
of a Sabbath." Present tense,  non-implicational.
"Foreign farmers are obliged to market their corn  immense distances  by
rail, canal, and sea." NOn-implicational: only  "were  obliged" is
implicational.
"By the treaty Germany was not allowed   to have an air fleet; if,
therefore, she was building one, England would  either  be obliged  to
declare the
Treaty was at an end or be  prepared to go in and  stop  her." "Would"
usage:
not  implicational.
"It should last until  you find work, but if you spend  it before, this
card
entitles you to  present another claim, which we  shall be obliged, in due
course, to  honour." "Shall" usage: not  implicational.
"He said that  freres  beþ nouȝt y-holde to keep  that heeste that may
nought oblige without   assent
of freres,  and namelich, wiþ-oute assent of mynystres  and it  oblige his

successour in none manner wise, for of twey  peres nother hath   power and
heeste  over other." EXCELLENT adage.  Implicational.
"Four things are required to each vow that obliges."  Present tense:
non-implicational.
"King Alexander Sen he had obliged king  for king  and only man for man."
The implication is oddly that a king is not  a  man (with the further
IMPLICATURE now that a king is more than a mere  man).
"Yet these laws would no ways oblige them, unless they   voluntarily
consented and submitted to them in Parliament."   IMPLICATIONAL.
"You say they are no laws unless they oblige the   conscience." Excellent.
Implicational of morality perhaps cancellable.
"Two inconsistent laws cannot both oblige." Excellent point alla John
Austin _and_ H.L.A. Hart. Implicational.
"Thus ‘I promise   to..’  obliges me—puts on record my spiritual
assumption
of a spiritual  shackle."  (J. L. Austin -- a parody of H. L. A. Hart).
"Good deeds, in  God's  miracles, oblige men moore to serve God." PRESENT
tense:   non-implicational.
"The statutes and ordinances do not oblige and binde them  to that   case,
but in certain points." Present-tense usage:  non-implicational, but
delightful in that equates 'oblige' with its  Anglo-Saxon countepart:
'bind'.
"The command obliges thee to obey."  John Austin's use. Implication need
not hold in that it's present  tense, and Hart holds only past tense
carries
implication.
"As the  king's oath ties and obliges him to the people,  certainly the
people's  oath ties and obliges them to the king." IMPLICATION  holds even
if
present tense. Vide below for allegedly morally illegitimate law.
"Christianity so much the more obliges us to invoke the assistance  of  the

true God." Present tense: no need for the implication to  hold
"The names of  those whom vicinity obliges to attendance  are  read over
morning and  evening." IMPLICATION holds. The  neighbours did  attend. The
phrase is in the present tense, so no  implication need hold IN THAT
TENSE.
"The letter censured the law of  England, which obliges us to  behave like
this." John Austin's usage.  "But we don't" sounds  un-English.
"Neither those regulations nor any  general  principle  of community law
obliges companies to do any  more than supply   the commission with such
information or  documentation as it has  requested  under Article 11 of
Regulation."
Since this is a negation ("neither") the implication does not  hold.
"The zenuolle  is obliged to zuo one great  gauelinge."  IMPLICATION holds.
"This cursed sin annoys her soul, for  he obliges it  to sin and  to pain
of
death." A Very John-Austin  use: the threat  involves pain of death no
less.
"Alas, that sin  obliged us all  till wicked hell-fire." Yes, it was a
pity.
The  implication holds (for those who  believe in wicked hell fire,
surely).
"When Adam sinned he obliged  himself and al his offspring to the  eternal
death." This implies that Adam and  his offspring all died  eternally.
"It is to be inquired how these became laws; obliging us to sin,  if  we
transgress." The John Austin use. If we transgress the law we  are forced
sin. Adding, "but we don't sin" sounds  contradictory.
"Who bacbiteþ to  anything, he obliged himself in to time  to comen" [L.
ipse se in  futurum obligat]. A special reflective use  'self-oblige'.
Implication holds.
"Most agree that, as theft  depends upon intent, such a child  can only
oblige himself in respect  of  it when he is close upon   puberty."
An usage that  interested Hart is utterances containing  'oblige'  where
what
the utterer means is "to bind with physical ties  and related  senses".
Hart
prefers 'force' to oblige. Since he feels it  a  bit harsh that Tom obliged

Jerry to fall down the cliff. The  gunman  does not just TAKE the wallet,
he
obliges the victim to give  the  wallet to him ("or else I'll shoot you" --
Hart's   example).
"They been obliged [L. obligati sunt] and  fellen."  IMPLICATION  holds.
"They are obliged, and they fell." IMPLICATION  holds.
"Touching is a spirit, extended from the hegemonic part  to  the
superficies, so that it perceives that  which is obliged  to it." A  RATHER
Abstract use
of 'oblige' -- implication holds, if  dubiously so.
"As soon as  Maritornes had fastened him, she left  him so strongly
obliged,  that it was  impossible he should  disengage himself." The  John
Austin
usage: to oblige: to force.  IMPLICATION holds. He could not  dissengage
himself.
"If a  woman  religion wil to hir craue, and  hase non entisment þertil bot

oblis  hir awn wil,  fully resauyed sal  scho not be."  CONDITIONAL: the
implication need not hold.
"And oblige me  unto  thee by  this boone." IMPERATIVE: the implication
need
not hold.
"If any man be obliged, he  will command him to remember   the  favour."
CONDITIONAL: the implication need not hold
"Here take  oh Zani  this ring of gold  and by giving it to the sea, oblige
it  unto thee."  IMPERATIVE: Implication need not hold
"Pliny pronounceth  that  the  greatest divinity is to see a mortal man
oblige his  like."
Figurative. Pliny's pun on divinity vs. mankind.
"The quhilk   commission would be reformed, causing the banchors her oblige
them in   everting expences."
The use of 'causing' seems to imply that the implication  holds -- and that

there WERE everting expenses.
"That her Family  had obliged Hungary with a queen, and France  with a
Gaston de  Foix."
"Her family had obliged Hungary with a queen" IMPLIES Hungary  had,  as a
result, a queen -- and France a Gaston de Foix.
"It  having been likely to have continued much longer, had the  company
thought fit to oblige the  taste of the town in    general."
CONDITIONAL: the implication need not hold. Only 'was obliged'  carries the

implication.
"O pray, Faulkland, fight to oblige Sir  Lucius." --  IMPERATIVE:
Implication need not hold.
"Oblige me with  the milk."
IMPERATIVE: no implication. Only 'was obliged' in the past (not  the
present, future, or imperative) carries the implication.
"The  customer  requested the appellant, to oblige her, to send the loaves
home with other goods  she had purchased."
LEGAL.  The  appellant was obliged to send the loaves home --. The  phrase
occurs  within a clause: the customer REQUESTED. So the implication that
the
appellant complied with the request does not hold.
"You say you can do  exactly as you like. Oblige me therefore by being  so
good as to do  it."
"I was obliged to learn that he did exactly as he liked." (IMPLICATION:  he

did exactly as he liked). The original is in the imperative form,  which
cancels  the implication. The implication only holds for 'was  obliged' in
the
past (not  the future, the present, or the imperative).
"None of them seemed  anxious to  oblige  the escape-artist  by tying him
up."
This is the typical John Austin use. You can oblige the  escape artist only

by tying him up.
"Lake Superior's Keweenaw Bay  usually has sold ice  in January, and coho
salmon, brown trout  and whitefish  oblige  anglers with  steady  action."
Figurative. But: The angler was obliged to recognise the  authorities  what
a good thing it was to allow them to fish at Keweenaw  Bay -- implies he
knows what's he's talking about and that he got  salmon, trout and
whitefish.
"If this tenderness proceeded from  a  soft effeminate spirit,  yet it
would
oblige me infinitely  unto  you."
CONDITIONAL ('if this tenderness..."). Indicative version: I  was
infinitely
obliged to recognise your help, even if it proceeded from a  spirit I
disagree  with.
"The helping an eminent minister may oblige  many Churches."
Figurative. But: The vicar was obliged to recognise that the  eminent
minister was very helpful (IMPLICATION: which he was).
"Your early  attention to this application will much oblige, Sir, your
very
faithful and  obedient  servant."
Sir was obliged to give  early attention to his faithful and obedient
servant's application --  and it was a pleasure for him to do so anyway
even if a
prompt is  always welcome to Sir, who can get  absent-minded.
"So obliging that he  ne'er  oblig'd"
A delightful quote, making reference to Hart's  metalinguistic secondary
rules. There's two obligings here. And the  primary obliging is negated, so
its
implication does not hold.
Sir,  would you obleege with the   snuffers?
"I was obliged to provide  the snuffers -- and I did, of  course."
"To-night, Mr. Grossmith and all  the talents will oblige."
GROSSMITH: I was obliged to entertain everybody,  and I did it with
pleasure, as always.
"He obliged at the  pianoforte."
"I was obliged to play the pianoforte."
Cfr. You can lead a  horse to water but you cannot oblige to drink. But
surely a horse  cannot play the piano, either. We are speaking 'rational
agents',   here. This is a pre-condition for Hart, if not for John Austin
(law as
coercive  order).
"A chairman was elected, obliged  with a  song, and then called  upon a
member of the company."
SINGER:  I was obliged to sing for the chairman.
WIFE: Delightful. What song did you  choose?
SINGER: No. I was obliged, but I never incurred in singing.
WIFE:  What hapened?
Hart may be thinking 'conversational implicature' here since a  scenario
can
be made for the obliging not having been realised or effected.  But "What
song  did you choose" is proof enough that the implication  holds ceteris
paribus.
"When gents were  shy, or dry, or  both, professional talent  obliged."
The talented professional obliged  to perform for the shy and dry
gentlemen.
-- "but the talented professional  didn't" sounds odd as an expansion. What
may  be permissible is that  the gents were still unsatisfied (they were,
after all  shy and  dry).
"Gentleman all, Miss Florence Simcox  the champion  clog-dancer of the
Midlands, will now oblige."
Miss Simcox was obliged to  perform -- and she did brilliantly. I have
turned the phrase to the  past. In the present or future "will now oblige"
surely
the implication need  not hold:
MASTER OF CEREMONIES: Florence Simcox will  now  oblige.
PROMPTER: She's not here!
MASTER OF CEREMONIES (correcting  himself): I meant to say that she WOULD
oblige IF SHE were here, as  I'm sure you'll understand. But we have
Charlie
Chaplin as a  replacement.
"There it is, mum. I'm sorry not to oblige."
Again,  negative: the implication does not hold.
MOM: Have you cleaned up your  room.
SON: I'm sorry not to oblige. (IMPLICATION/ENTAILMENT: I did not).
"I was not obliged by my mother to clean up the room" is ambiguous.
This  is permissible in a John-Austin/Hart approach of 'oblige' qua
'force'.
If  the son perceived the threat is not strong enough, he can surely
challenge  the 'obliging' which is thus rendered inoperative. Only
obligings
perceived as  such count as 'real' obliging rather than  pseudo-ones.
"Once or  twice he beat with frantic fists in the panel of  the door,
requiring  answers,  exits, explanations, which Marcus  did not oblige
with."
This is negative, and surely the implication does not  hold.
Marcus was not obliged to deal with those tantrums. Implication: he did
not
DEAL with them.
"The mother took in washing and went out to  oblige  and earned roughly
22s.
a week and some of her food."
This  is VERY factive. What she did followed (was entailed or implied) from

her being obliged.
"She  occasionally did odd work to oblige  Mrs.  Theobald, the vicar's
wife."
She was obliged to help the vicar's  wife with the odd job or two. "But
never turned up" sounds  contradictory.
"I'm not in service. I oblige by  the   hour."
"Diary of a Mayfair lady":
"I was obliged to clean the house by  the hour" "which I did" sounds
otiose.
"Twice a week a lady came to oblige  in the house."
LADY: I was obliged to clean the house twice a week. But did  it thrice out

of supererogatory virtue.
"A bachelor who paid well  and wasn't too  fussy was a far better
proposition than some others she  had obliged."
MAID: I was obliged to clean the house of this bachelor.
The fact that she engaged in cost-benefit analysis proves she did clean the

house (The gentleman wasn't fussy). The implication actually applies  to
these OTHERS she was obliged to clean IN THE PAST, till she found  this
'not
too  fussy' bachelor.
"On Saturdays she could not come in  the morning at all but obliged  for an
hour in the evening."
MAID: I  was obliged to clean the house on Saturdays -- but never did
sounds awfully  wrong! (It was only one hour in the evening! and she gave
her word for  it -- plus she was remunerated).
"If it chance me by your aid to recover I  shall so  much  obliged and
bound
unto you."
This is one of my  favourite quotes, since before the Anglo-Saxons borrowed

(never to  return) the Roman idea of 'obligatio', from which 'oblige'
derives,   all they had was bounds!
This is conditional ("if it chance...") but can be  put in the canonical
John-Austin-Hart propositional format:
I was  obliged (and bound) to recognise that you were CAUSATIVE in my
recover. The idea of causative is crucial in Hart's analysis of John
Austin's
'oblige', since Hart takes 'oblige' to be both 'factive' and  'causative'
-- as
in "I was forced to do it, mom -- that's why I did it".  The threat forced
the son to do it. Law as coercive order.
"For  the  foresaid resolution in your Matie  implying the good of so many
of  your friends, they held themselves eternally  obliged."
I  was eternally obliged to recognise that the resolution implied the good

of so many friends. -- Two implications here: that the resolution took
place
and  that the many friends did exist. Note that for some eternal  obliging,
like  infinite obliging is never enough.
"To those hills  we are obliged for all our metals."
This is figurative since the hills cannot  "interpret" the utterance of
'obliging'. We are obliged to recognise  that we are very fortunate those
hills
gave us all those precious  metals -- that's a different thing. We are
forced to  do it, and the  implication is that the metals from the hills
are a
_fact_ and  not the  utterer's imagination.
"I told them I was very much obliged to them for  their  good-will."
I was obliged to recognise that they displayed  good-will. Implication:
they
did display goodwill.
"The republick of  letters is infinitely  obliged to M. Coste for the pains
he has   taken."
This is figurative. Supposing the utterer is a member of the republic  of
letters: "I was INFINITELY obliged to recognise Coste's pains.
Implication:
Coste took a lot of pains and infinite obligation is  perhaps never enough.

"There is an oversight in the article on Bacon,  which I shall be much
obliged to you to correct."
SECRETARY: Yes,  sir. You called sir?
SIR: Yes. There is an oversight in the article on Bacon.  I oblige you to
correct it.
NINE HOURS LATER
Secretary (to  wife): Sorry I'm late.
WIFE: What the hell happened?
Secretary: Sir  obliged me to correct an  oversight in the article on
Bacon.
It turned  out to be what I would have  described in larger terms, but you
know  Sir's innuendos.
"I am much  obliged for the present of your exquisitely  pretty book."
This IMPLICATES or implies that the utterer did receive an  exquisitely
pretty book. The utterer was obliged to acknowledge such a  present, and he

couldn't have done that unless he did get it. ("And  I'm so sorry it got
lost in
the post" sounds odd as an expansion).
"I  am  exceedingly obliged to you for your co-operation."
The reference is  here to Grice's cooperative principle of conversation.
He was exceedingly  obliged to recognise that his addressee had cooperated.

The  implication is that the addresee has cooperated or WILL cooperate. The

use  of "am" (present) tense and the fact that the implication involves
"will" (and  that the future is unpredictable) explains why Hart  preferred
stick with  implications of propositions in the past tense  "I was
exceedingly
obliged for  your cooperation" (+> You  cooperated, or so I thought).
"We are vastly obliged to you for booking us  into the Royal Oak  tonight."
This seems John-Austin-Hart usage.
A:  We were vastly obliged to be booked at the Royal Oak.
B: But I didn't.
A:  In which case, we are not vastly obliged, you know.
Surely the implication  holds.
‘Well, they can just  think again,’ replied Rachel hotly, ‘and  if anyone
says anything to you on  those  lines I would be obliged  if you would put
them straight.’
This is a bad use, admittedly. It's  like, "I am sorry if I offended you".
It's "be obliged TO" not "BE  OBLIGED _IF_." This sloppy use possibly
disimplicates and can be  straightened along Hart's analysis. Rachel was
obliged
to recognise  that her addressee would see the need to "put them straight"
"Well,  I'll speak to him." -- "Much obliged—here he is!"
Here it means "thank you".  Literally: B is obliged to recognise that A's
speaking to him is a  good thing. Otherwise, why thank him?
‘I have very  few friends, Mr.  Pedgift,’ returned Allan simply.  ‘And I
am
sure you  are one of  the few.’  ‘Much obliged, Mr. Armadale.’
This means 'Thank you'. The  impliation is that Pedgift is obliged to be
Armadale's friend, which  implies that he IS Armadale's friend. Otherwise,
why
thank  him?
‘I'll give you a ride, this time,’ the driver said.   ‘Much  obliged,’
Horace said.
This means 'thank you'. In the sense that Horace  is obliged by the driver
to ACCEPT the invitation for a ride, which he  did. If that would NOT be
the
case, the usual colloquial form is  "Thanks but no thanks" (which is a
contradiction, but only at the  superficial level -- and hence its jocular
implicature).
‘W'eer  the 'ell ye gan to ga in India—unless yer Jock theer, an'  look
like a bloody wog.’
‘Much obliged.’
‘No offence,   lad.’
This use is colloquial. In need of an expansion "to do A", with "A" as  the

relevant verb. In most cases, 'much obliged' can be expanded as  "much
obliged to  have done what I did" which then carries the  implication we
are
considering,  that he did what he did.
"His  Majesty's gracious letter was not  only most welcome but very
obliging."
-- he fails to expand that the letter obliged its recipient to  attend the
garden party, surely -- which he did attend -- otherwise  the use of 'most
welcome' would be otiose.
"Without which it is  impossible to oblige  in conversation."
Without reading Grice's "Logic  and Conversation", that is -- and the list
of conversational maxims.  Note the use of 'impossible', which turns the
Griceian  maxims into  definitional conditions, and useful too!
"Perceiving  many things in it  which did oblige my fancy."
This is figurative. It's people who can be  obliged. Not people's fancy.
But
the implication seems to be that he did  perceive many things.
"It was reasonable to suppose you would be very much  obliged  with
anything
that was new."
This needs to be expanded into  "was obliged to do A" -- which is not
impossible. Example: to SHOW his  acknowledgment with anything that was
new.
Transitively, it just means to  constrain, to compel -- the  John  Austin
use: To constrain,  influence; to force, compel a   person, frequently in
the
passive  with to or infinitive.
"I will obey  you, my Lord, for all things oblige  me so to do."
This possibly illustrates Hart's use of a meta-language:
"I  am obliged to oblige God."
The first use is, oddly, what Hart calls, given  its syntactic position, a
secondary rule; the second 'oblige' is a  primary rule.
"That the oath  which he had invented obliged the  parliament to one
accurate trial of all  plotters."
This is almost  legal. Not the type of canonical proposition ripe for
John-Austin-Hart  analysis: but so expandable:
The oath obliges. The Parliament was obliged to  an accurate trial for ALL
plotters. An oath is like a promise, and J.  L. Austin, parodying Hart,
sees
"I  promise" as an operative or  performative with the illocutionary force,
"I  oblige". For Austin,  operatives were neither true nor false, but
Warnock
refuted  this  "Performatives" in "Language and Morality". Hence there is
an
implication  that the Parliament did provide an accurate trial to all
plotters, as it should!  The fact that the oath was merely invented is
just an
irrelevant here, since he  managed to deceive the whole  Parliament about
that.
It often happens! -- in some  countries!
"See  here the  reasons which obliged this illustrious prince to  his
resolution, and the true motives of so glorious an  action."
This is  very John Austin-Hart. The subject is 'the reasons'. Seen from the

perspective of the prince it's best to hear from the  princess:
PRINCESS:  I'm so proud of you, William. Such a glorious  action.
PRINCE: I was obliged to decide like I did.
PRINCESS: I know, by  glory itself!
It would be very odd under the circumstances that the glorious  resolution
never took place.
"To oblige all unfreemen to liver and  loaden all vessels at  Port Glasgow."
Not a proposition ripe for  analysis. But expandable:
The captain obliged all unfreemen to load all  vessels. This was when
slavery was operative at Port Glasgow.
UNFREEMAN I: What are you doing?
UNFREEMAN II: I am loading the  vessel.  I was obliged to do it by the
captain.
UNFREEMAN I: Do you  think this applies to me too?
UNFREEMAN II: Not perhaps for John Austin, but  surely for Hart and the
captain -- "ALL UNFREEMEN", he said, and that  should include _you_. So I
don't
think why you are not obliged to help  me load this next vessel.
"From this time I resolve to oblige all my family  to serve God."
Here we have a John Austin-Hart case:
SON: I was obliged to  serve God.
FATHER: Good. Son. That's what I resolved, and I'm glad it worked  alla
John
Austin with you. God will never fail you!
"Self-preservation  obliged the  people to those severities."
Here we need to turn  'severities' into a verb, such as 'to starve'.
"The people was obliged to  starve."
"But they didn't" sounds cruel, even from a Darwinian point of view,
seeing
that it's self-preservation which is at stake here.
"He is so weak  that  he has been obliged to be held up by people when he
came out of  the  house."
WIFE: What are you doing in the garden, Henry?
HENRY:  What do you mean.
WIFE: You know you have been obliged to be held up by  people should you
desire to come out of the house.
The above sounds  odd. It seems that if he was so obliged then under no
circumstance  would the wife see him in the garden and NOT being held up by

people.
"I will give you a certificate from under my hand of my having  obliged
you
to march."
Here we have what Austin would have as 'playing the  sovereign'. Let's see
this from the view point of the  soldier:
SOLDIER: You obliged me to march.
GENERAL: And you did  brillantly! As a token of affection, I will give you
certificate from  under my hand of my having obliged you to march.
SOLDIER: Which I will frame  and show to ALL of my friends who DIDN'T!
GENERAL: That's the spirit!
"It  is flattering to a man to be  indispensable to a woman so long as he
is
not obliged to it." A typical John Austin-Hart case.
HUSBAND: It's  flattering to be indispensable to you, my old Dutch.
WIFE: Much  obliged!
HUSBAND: Wait. I haven't finished. It's flattering to be  indispensable to
you, as long as I'm not obliged to BE  INDISPENSABLE!
WIFE: But you _are_, darling!
HUSBAND: You've been reading  Hart, right?
"The royal officials committed so many misdeeds  that  the  king on his
return was obliged to make a stern  example."
DUCHESS OF DEVONSHIRE: Did you hear the news?
MARCHIONESS OF  CORNWALL:  No.
DUCHESS: It's in THE TIMES: "The royal officials  committed so many misdeed

that the king on his return from Timbuctoo  was obliged to make a stern
example.
MARCHIONESS: But he didn't! Or  if he did, it never showed!
DUCHESS: You know that, and _I_ know that, but  the 'vulgus' does not need
to KNOW that, does it, dear?
"I'm  obliged to work  for my  living."
This is the case Hart and John  Austin had in mind. It's curious that Hart,

for safety, preferred the  use of 'was obliged', rather than 'am obliged'
--
but  then also Grice  provides an analysis for "Utterer MEANT that p",
rather than  'means'.  -- It seems speaking about the past is easy.
But here we have the present  tense:
WIFE: Where are you going?
HUSBAND: To work.
WIFE:  Why?
HUSBAND: I am obliged to work for my living -- and yours, as  it  happens.
(This does not apply to Hart, whose wife, was a worker -- once outed  as
"Russian spy" -- "I was a Russian spy" -- which affected Hart so  that he
had
to  go onto electromagnetic shock treatment).
"I dug  the garden  and became so painfully stiff that I was obliged to
stop."
This is the John Austin usage that Hart took as paradigm of John  Austin's
concept of legality.
HUSBAND: I did as you told me. Dug  the garden alright.
WIFE: But it's only 10 o'clock. You said you would be  digging till  noon.
HUSBAND: Thing is. I became so painfully stiff that  I was obliged to  stop.
WIFE: I expect you did not.
HUSBAND: Your  English is getting worse and worse. You should read some
Hart, or  something.
"I was obliged by every sense of  honour to help   you."
Here we seem to have a John-Austin-Hart case: 'obliged' in the  passive
voice, followed by "to A", with "A" a verb.
The  implication holds. Consider the oddity of:
A: I was obliged by every sense of  honour to help you.
B: But you didn't?
A: I did NOT? Are you criticising  my help? Was that NOT ENOUGH for  you!?
Also John Austin's use, to  oblige means to make imperative;  to
necessitate.
"In some  sort to oblige their dependance upon his  acts and fortunes."
This is  not exactly a Hartian proposition, whose canonical form is in the

passive form and followed by 'to A", where "A" is a verb. (John  Austin's
canonical form too, with the sovereign as subject, always).  The 'some
sort'
will  be read by Hart as a 'defeater'. There is some  sort, but there is
some
other  sort where this does not apply.  Something plural is obliged to
depend,
and  the source seems to be,  logically enough, his acts and fortunes. The
implication  seems to be  that their dependance took place (This is an old
quote, hence our   safeety in using the past).
"Policy obliged from the dear gentleman this  frankness and
acknowlegement."
In the analysis of 'oblige', we have to  consider the subject and the
object. When used in the passive voice  (John Austin's and Hart's favourite

voice), it's not clear who or what  obliges. Here we have policy. Policy
did not
oblige the dear  gentleman. He obliged FROM the dear gentleman, which adds
trick. In  any case, I think it is implied that the dear gentleman, as it
should,   WAS frank and that he acknowledged -- the point emphasised by the
use
of  'this'.
"The custom of the Elizabethan theatre obliged this   double authorship."
This is tricky. Oblige to what? The custom of Elizabethan  theatre obliged
to have a double authorship. There may be defeaters:  some plays by
Shakespeare  were JUST written by HIM. Conversational  implicature.
"Argyle being to  oblige from the Rebellion then on Foot,  created a
Marquis."
This is tricky. But it seems to imply that Foot  rebelled, and this forced
him to create a marquis. Note that it's not  Hart's or John Austin's use,
'oblige  to' -- rather 'oblige from'.
"That the seaman and all others be obliged  from any trade in all kind  of
furs."
This seems legal enough, but Austin, recall, found  'oblige' to be the 'key

to the science of jurisprudence'. It's only  its conceptual analysis in
terms of  'force' that Hart rejected, as  in:
SON: I did it.
MOTHER: So I heard.
SON: But I was forced to do  it.
MOTHER: I know, son.
Surely, the implication in the above holds, and  for Austin, to oblige is
force (law as coercive order). Not for  Hart.
The seaman meets his wife:
SEAMAN: I was obliged from any trade in  all kinds of furs.
WIFE: Speak English!
SEAMAN: I was obliged to refrain  from trading in our 'bread and  butter'.
WIFE: And what are we going to  do now? (She takes the above as implicating

or implying or entailing  that he did refrain).
"To oblige the delinquent  from the exercise of  his function."
Again, this, as such, does not serve, since Hart is into the  'ascription'
for which we need a 'proposition'. Suppose the DELINQUENT  meets his wife:
DELINQUENT: I was obliged from the exercise of this  function.
WIFE: Speak English!
DELINQUENT: I was obliged to refrain from  doing.
WIFE: And you did!
DELINQUENT: Now it seems it's YOU who's having  a  problem with English!

Cheers,

Speranza