[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 07:28:19 -0400

On a different note, if Hart's contribution is  so vacuous, etc., (which
ain't), let's be reminded of the rich  contents of this book, "The Legacy
of
Hart." 1: John Finnis, On Hart's  Ways: Law as Reason and as Fact 2: David
Lyons,  The Legal Entrenchment  of Illegality 3: Sir Neil MacCormick,
Jurisprudence  after Hart   4: Gerald Postema, The Social Foundations of
Sovereignty
5: Jeremy  Waldron, Hart and the Rule of Law  6: W.J. Waluchow,  Legality,
Morality, and the Guidance Function of Law  7: Antony   Duff,
Responsibility and Liability  8: John Gardner, Hart on   Responsibility  9:
Judith Jarvis Thomson, Some Reflections on Causation  in  the Law  10:
Richard Wright, The Nightmare and the Noble  Dream: Causation  and
Responsibility
11: Brad Hooker, Justice,  Fairness, and Hart  12:  Philip Pettit, Liberty
and  Liberties  13: Cécile Fabre, Rights and  Non-existence  14:  Hillel
Steiner, Are There Still Any Natural Rights?  15: Leif Wenar,  The Nature
of the
Claim  16: Leslie Green, Tolerance  and  Understanding  17: Susan Mendus,
Private Faces in Public Places   18: Alan Ryan, Liberty, Privacy, and
Cruelty

I take a passage at random:  "Legalistic retributivism"  -- NOT Hart's
thing, -- he's into  'ascriptivism', since Omar K. was  speaking of -isms
--
"would  imply that punishment is sometimes morally  legitimate precisely
because

The Grice/Hart interface: We are considering:

a. Smith was obliged to do it. vs. b. Smith was  obligated to do  it.

McEvoy brings in: c.  Smith was obliged to do  it. But  Smith did not.

In fact, his (c) is a lovely ad hominem: d. Smith   was obliged to do it
i.e. answer the question and not merely rehash stuff  that  fails to answer
it.
But Smith did not.

and closes his post  with:  e.  Nothing in Speranza's post answers how Hart
advances on  the unexciting,  unexplanatory thesis that the difference
between legal  and other obligations is  that the former are imposed by law
and the
others are not.

to which I add  f. Much obliged!

Only  joking!  Now, seriously!

In a message  dated 3/25/2015 7:43:06  A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
"Why  can we not say (c)? If we don't rule this out, then a. may not  be
factive, and the distinction with b. breaks down. If we rule it out as  an
impermissible a construction, then we have turned the claim that  "(a) is
factive" into a merely stipulative and non-substantive claim.

Well,  that's why I provided some linguistic botany on 'oblige'.  Indeed,
'obligate'  DERIVES from 'oblige' (as 'implicate' derives from  'imply' --
as
in "Smith  denied that he was implicated in the crime").  I think the
source
(McEvoy would  say "blame") for this is Grice. Grice  had been reading
Peirce,
which was a good  thing ("there's nothing so  bad in any book that it does
not make it worth  reading" -- Prince  Charles). Perhaps not so good a
thing
is that he tortured his  tutees  with it. Peirce uses

for cases like

i. The   weathercock points to the north-east.

this surely entails that the  wind  blows from the opposite direction
(under
normal circumstances,  where the  weathercock is working properly rather
than artificially  FIXED in that  direction).  When Grice decided that all
Peirce was  talking was  'kryptotechnic', he started to use 'mean' --
Holloway
didn't. Grice came up with  examples like

ii. The spots on my  son Timothy did not mean anything to  me, but to the
doctor -- I'm glad  I called him -- they meant  measles.

This entails for Grice  that

iii. My son has  measles.

Hart read that -- Grice,  "Meaning" 1948 -- and criticised  Holloway for
not
realising this  important distinction between the 'factivity' of  'mean' as
in "Those  spots mean measles" and the 'non-factivity' of 'mean' as  in

iii.  That ring in the bus meant that the bus was full.

which  surely does  not entail that the bus was full.  Years later, after
reading   Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited" (NOW A MAJOR FILM WITH EMMA
THOMSON),
Grice  wrote, "Meaning Revisited", where he thinks that the
factive/non-factive  distinction is not so distinctive. There is  something
COMMON to 'mean'
factive  and 'mean' non-factive. In both  cases, 'mean' can be analysed
conceptually along  a common  line:

x means y, iff y is the consequence of x

This  includes  both cases. Surely we don't want to multiply senses of
"mean" beyond   necessity (It's not, Grice, says, like 'vice' (carpenter's
tool)
and 'vice'  (a  failure in character) where what we have is rather two
words.
So,  Hart is merely  applying Grice's distinction. Hart wants to provide a
conceptual analysis of  'legal obligation' that does not rely on  anything
having to do with a   coercive order. For that, he uses  'oblige'. Hart
found his
usage of 'oblige' so  FORCEFUL that, for him,

a. Smith was obliged to do it -- does entail  that Smith did it.

In other idiolects, and other analyses, the rejection  of this  entailment
may not hold. Then Hart would say that we are using  'oblige'  differently.

Hart wants to restrict 'oblige' not just  to cases like 'push  down the
cliff': -- g. Smith was pushed down the  cliff. -- h. Nowell obliged  Smith
to jump
down the cliff. Hart refers  to Smith's body. If force applied to  Smith's
body is MEANT, (h)  entails (i) -- i. Smith jumped down the cliff. It is  a
subtle usage  that not everybody abides by. But Hart, 'ever the linguistic

philosopher' did. It's not like he extracted loads of illumination into
the
analysis of the legitimacy of the law (but then that's tautologous  -- 'a
legitimate law'). But his focus was on the idea and concept and  conception
that
'obliging' involves psychological motivations and  reasons and causes,
whereas  'obligate' necessitates the appeal to a  meta-linguistic 'rule'
that
deems the  referred to obligation as  'legal'. As I say, Hart learned the
distinction from  Grice as applied  to 'mean', and Grice would later revise
his
thoughts -- his  example of  'regret'. In some idolects, the issue of
factivity,
as it relies on   the utterer's intentions, can vary, and it's not rare for
Grice to  allow  that two philosophers (himself and a friend of his, say)
have
different  conceptual analysis of the same item.

On top of  that, Hart, 'ever the linguistic philosopher', hardly compared
with  Grice, 'ever the Griceian linguistic philosopher', and Hart tends  to

vagueness in his prose. "He is obliged to do it" (rather than "He is
obligated to do it" "suggests" that the former "implies" "He did it". A
logical
implication is an entailment, but 'implies' can be read as  'implicates',
or as
conversational implicature, which would thus be  defeated (or defeased) in
context, or explicitly. So one has, to  use  Hart's favourite adjective
very
'careful'. It is not   coincidental that of ALL philosophers Grice could
criticise in his first  William  James lecture at Harvard in 1967, he chose
Hart
on  'carefully'. Grice  thought, that with all his linguistic and
conceptual
acumen, Hart was  still VERY WRONG about how to intepret 'implication':
the
conditions Hart saw  for the use of 'carefully' (as in "He parked  the car
carefully") seem to be  merely IMPLICATED and not entailed, and  thus not
part
of the necessary and  sufficient conditions -- or some of  them, since all
concepts  have 'porositaet' or open texture for Hart --  of the conceptual
analysis of the corresponding  notion.

Cheers,

Speranza