[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.11 dev 3

  • From: "Carlos Macintosh" <sleepio1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:28:37 -0500

Hi ian, I will attempt to give an overview of how time of conflict manages units. It's actually really effective and centers around lists.

Like TB, TOC has a map system with x, y coordinates. Moving around the map is accomplished, like TB, with the UDRL arrow keys. Focus on a unit and then you can press applications to see everything you can do with it, similar to the enter key with TB.

If you focus on any square, you can press a key to view what is known as a "unit list". Unit lists are highly customizable lists of units that match certain criteria you specify in the key you press. For example, pressing alt-I in TOC will list only infantry. There are commands for each type of unit, like A for armor, F for fighter, etc, all with the alt key. Pressing alt-f9, f10 and f11 displays all, friendly, and enemy units respectively. This is good if you want to filter the list down so you have fewer units to manage in the list. alt-l displays units in the current tile. This would probably only be needed for stackable units in TB, but in TOC, alt-l is very useful for controlling units inside troop carriers or aircraft carriers, or recruited units in a city. alt-f7 toggles between sorting by distance or sorting by direction. If distance is selected, closer units are at the top, and units that are farther away are at the bottom. If direction is selected, units are displayed starting with those directly north of you, or at 12:00 on an analog clock face. The list proceeds clockwise east to 3:00, then continues clockwise till it gets back to the beginning. I really like this mode for analyzing my surroundings, and the distance mode for figuring which unit is closest to a particular square or enemy unit.