[ian-reeds-games] Re: some newbie questions....

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 21:51:53 -0500

Hadi,
Sorry, I had some in laws over and we went out to eat, but the first thing I
want to say is that everyone in the world was once a newbie, till they learned.
They learned from others who were newbies at one time or another, so don't
worry about asking questions. This list is exactly here for just taht reason,
to share maps, to talk shop about TB and on making great fun maps that will
hopefully make TB the powerhouse we all know it can become, grin.

You are correct in that the transfer of a reload like point will leave the
heavy machine gun structure loaded and armed for bear.

Since the machine gun doesn't move, and you don't want the unit fireing it to
move, try this.

In the point folder, go to your kinetic point file.
Int he flag line add the at_zero= flag.
For this you are going to need an effect name. In this example I will call it
solid.
In the solid effect, you put in the  duration= flag and a no_movement flag.
What will happen ist aht the  gunner will have a kinetic point in his flags, so
when he uses the pull trigger,t he kinetic point is spent down to zero, cause
it was only one point.
This casts the effect on him of solid, which has him not able to move for
however long you want, but it sounds like that character might want to move
eventually...it is up to you how long.

The gun will have the no_movement effect on it too, but it sounds like it isn't
going to be moving anyway.

Did that make sense?
That should hopefully work. Ironically the point_current= flag was to work
around a bug, but I find myself using that all the time, so it is one of thsoe
little flags that was just one of those great stumbles of inspiration Ian had.

Let me know if that works.

I actually like this idea you cooked up, so I am really interested if that pans
out. It would work as a great way to simulate artillery teams, forced to stand
at their cannons, catapults, giant spitball shooters, lol.

I recall you mentioned changing the name of the lead player unit. Were you
thinking flashy names, street names, nicknames? Names are surprisingly
important. A name can evoke a feeling about a unit just by the  number of
vowels in it, lol.

I like to look at baby name sites, to look for interesting names for
characters. It is really helpful when I need ethinic groups like chinese, or
russian.