[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.11 dev 3

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:03:20 -0700

Hi all!

Austen and Allan, to be sure we're talking about the same extra information. I am talking about this kind of message:
Lucy the good fire mage uses flaming weapon on Michelle the good warrior
being turned into this message for dev 3:
Lucy the good fire mage at 1 3 uses flaming weapon on Michelle the good warrior at 1 2
And this message:
Lucy the good fire mage uses defend
being turned into:
Lucy the good fire mage at 1 3 uses defend
So the in game toggle would be controlling whether coordinates are announced in those messages.
It would not change this message:
Lucy the good fire mage uses blaze at 3 3
Because I think the coordinates are important when targetting a tile instead of a unit and this is how it's always worked. Additionally it does not affect announcing coordinates when you move your review cursor around the map.

Even without the toggle it could be taken out of any non AI initiated actions since you are controlling the units and already know what is happening. I believe the person who requested it wanted to know the coordinates when the AI was doing things since it's not always so obvious. Another way to handle this sort of thing is for players to name all the units and then coordinates are less important since the names are being announced.

Anyway, I'm going to add it as a toggle so each player can choose for themselves.

I've noted both Austen's and Allan's ideas for finding units, they are good ones. If anyone has played Time of Conflict and knows of good ideas that were used there to help in finding and managing units on a large map I'd appreciate hearing them.

Hadi, Allan's instructions are what I would have suggested.
Specifically when you put music=disturb.mp3 then the full name of the music file must be disturb.mp3.
If you are using a wav file then the full name is disturb.wav instead.
Windows does not show the file extension by default. It is something you have to turn on under tools then options in Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer is not the same as Internet Explorer. This could be the problem, or in rare cases there could be a problem with frequency and bit rate and other such audio things I know very little about. But if Windows Media Player will play it then those things shouldn't be a problem in the game and it's probably the file name being incorrect.

Greta, since the bug only happens when you are manually controlling the units I expect it has something to do with the skills you are using during your turn. If you can narrow it down to what actions are causing it that would be helpful as I currently can't reproduce it.