[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:35:30 -0400

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On the other hand, one could very well argue that Haiku does not have
> the resources to do this in a way that is viable and sustainable; as we
> very well know by now, that something can be put in writing does not
> mean that it can or will be executed, particularly in the case of
> volunteer-only projects like Haiku.

I think what is more of an issue than the volunteer-only nature of
Haiku is a lack of serious funds to pay lawyers to protect our
trademarks in a court of law should it come down to that. Mozilla has
those funds because of the money they receive from Google for searches
in Firefox. If we are really serious about protecting our trademarks
we need to find a way to generate funds for such an effort. I don't
know if donations are enough. Though we may also have options with
some of the open source friendly law offices which might offer pro
bono representation.

Hopefully this won't ever be needed, but if Haiku gains a lot of
success there may be various parties who want to leech off that
success.

Overall I very much agree with your assessment of the current
situation and also feel protecting the trademarks is more important
than fixing the distro guidelines. As I've said before I think the
release of the alpha has changed things quite a bit, and removed a lot
of the motivation for distros. But either way we need to protect the
Haiku brand.

--
Regards,
Ryan