[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:05:19 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 12:41 -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> The first thing to do is register the trademark, as that seems to be the
> >> enabler to recovering attorneys fees and getting additional damages in
> >> case on an infringement action.
> >
> > Indeed, good point. I believe some research was done for this but no
> > one has taken any action yet. But this will definitely be put on the
> > to do list. But it will need to be done after some other more pressing
> > issues.
>
> I will see about filling out some paperwork.
>
> It seems you can only file for one mark per form (so I guess we'll
> have to file separately for the name and logo), and each filing incurs
> separate fees. Furthermore, the fees are non-refundable, so if they
> never grant you the mark, you lose the fees.
>
> I'd be inclined to file for the name only at first and see how that
> goes. A potential issue I think we could run into is a registered
> trademark on the name Haiku for a software company filed in Oregon
> (unrelated to operating systems).

Hmmm... I think the norm is to file the trademark in both forms (text
and graphic) together.

I know that being donations the only source of funding makes you very
cost conscious. But why don't we at least try find out what it would
cost to hire an attorney to do this? It may turn out to be not as
expensive, and it would save a lot of potential headaches.

There are a lot of trademark attorneys in the Bay Area; if you want, I
can look around and shoot some emails.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki