[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:02:12 -0700

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Nicholas Blachford
<nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As for the discussion on not making it easy to make distros, that is up to
> the developers.  However, if you deliberately make it difficult to remove
> trademarks it could then be argued you are not making enough effort to
> protect them.

I had mentioned to one or two people that maybe we need a tool to
strip trademarks from an already-built Haiku image, leaving generic
information instead... I think this would at least make it possible
for someone to comply with our trademark policy without forcing them
having to be a developer. It also wouldn't help them actually re-brand
Haiku, they would have to do that themselves, or seek assistance
elsewhere.

Perhaps this would be a good compromize?

> I don't know about trademark law but you are legally required to protect
> copyrights, you lose them if you don't.  If the same is true for trademarks,
> by making it difficult to remove them, you are potentially handing any
> trademark infringer a *very* powerful weapon to use against you.

TBH, I hadn't heard that you can lose copyrights if you don't enforce
them - but I admit I haven't investigated the depths of copyright law.
I have however heard that you can lose trademarks if you don't enforce
them.

But, I think it's also not necessarily the trademark holder's job to
make it easier for people to not violate their marks. I believe it's
only the trademark holder's requirement to clearly communicate what
constitutes a violation, and how an existing violation can be
reversed.

- Urias