[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:32:14 -0700

Hi Stippi,

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 11:54 +0200, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> On 2009-10-10 at 17:05:36 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In other words, what your guidelines should say and how it says it must
> > be a reflection of what your general strategy is with regards to
> > distributions. You need clearly defined goals first, and only then can
> > you draft something that meets those goals; unfortunately, it does not
> > work the other way around.
>
> 100% agreed. We don't want to encourage distros, and we should not put in
> work to make it more easy to make them. Anyone can make one, but they must
> follow the rules the project has set up for it's trademarks. If they are
> incapable of changing a few strings and bitmaps, they should not make a
> distro, simple as that. Jorge, if you feel like improving the text to bring
> this across in a nice way, please go ahead! :-)

IMHO, there is too much focus on distro guidelines. In fact, to me the
mere existence of a distro guideline could be interpreted as an
inference contrary to the stated position of the project to discourage
distros.

In contrast, little thought seems to have gone into the trademark
policy, which is very light in substance.

Instead of this focus on distro guidelines, I think that a well thought
out trademark policy in line with your strategy should suffice; of
course, there would be a distro/spin/remix component to it.

Anyway, a lot of thought has to go into something like this, and I don't
have much time right now; if somebody else comes up with something, I
will provide my input then.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki