[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:41:42 -0700

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The first thing to do is register the trademark, as that seems to be the
>> enabler to recovering attorneys fees and getting additional damages in
>> case on an infringement action.
>
> Indeed, good point. I believe some research was done for this but no
> one has taken any action yet. But this will definitely be put on the
> to do list. But it will need to be done after some other more pressing
> issues.

I will see about filling out some paperwork.

It seems you can only file for one mark per form (so I guess we'll
have to file separately for the name and logo), and each filing incurs
separate fees. Furthermore, the fees are non-refundable, so if they
never grant you the mark, you lose the fees.

I'd be inclined to file for the name only at first and see how that
goes. A potential issue I think we could run into is a registered
trademark on the name Haiku for a software company filed in Oregon
(unrelated to operating systems).

- Urias