[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:44:21 +0100 CET

> > It seems you can only file for one mark per form (so I guess we'll
> > have to file separately for the name and logo), and each filing
> > incurs
> > separate fees. Furthermore, the fees are non-refundable, so if they
> > never grant you the mark, you lose the fees.
> >
> > I'd be inclined to file for the name only at first and see how that
> > goes. A potential issue I think we could run into is a registered
> > trademark on the name Haiku for a software company filed in Oregon
> > (unrelated to operating systems).

Must see if they applied in other countries too...

> Hmmm... I think the norm is to file the trademark in both forms (text
> and graphic) together.

Yes, semi-graphics.

> I know that being donations the only source of funding makes you very
> cost conscious. But why don't we at least try find out what it would
> cost to hire an attorney to do this? It may turn out to be not as
> expensive, and it would save a lot of potential headaches.

I managed to register 2 french tm for a non-profit last year, took some
time but it worked. Didn't try international registration yet though.

Usually the office has someone to handle requests and help you there.
At least the INPI has someone here two days a week I could ask
questions and meet several times first, without having to cash.

But well France is not the US, you'll probably end up paying even the
coffee they hand you there :p

François.