[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:21:20 -0400

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My understanding (from the time I was an admin, back in 2007) was that a
> Linux-style proliferation of distros was not desired. If that has not
> changed, then the guidelines should reflect this stance by putting all the
> burden of distro making on the distro makers.

I don't think that has changed, and I don't think we've made much
effort to make it any easier to create a distro.

> In other words, what your guidelines should say and how it says it must be a
> reflection of what your general strategy is with regards to distributions.
> You need clearly defined goals first, and only then can you draft something
> that meets those goals; unfortunately, it does not work the other way
> around.

I think I speak for most people in the project when I say that we
welcome any suggestions for improvement of the distro guidelines. The
fact that the guidelines don't explicitly state that distros are
generally frowned upon is probably an oversight worth fixing. On that
note I've added a box at the top to that affect. Also we should edit
the section on promotional CDs to better reflect the fact that an
alpha release has been made. I made a few small changes there. If
anyone strongly disagrees with these changes let me know and I will
revert them.

--
Regards,
Ryan